Author Topic: cracks on the back  (Read 2650 times)

Offline benjamin

cracks on the back
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:40 pm »
Hello everyone. I've had to steam the lower limb of my last osage self bow about three times to get the string to line up with the handle. I was real careful to put varnish on the back while it dried but it developed 3 long cracks running with the grain from the bottom of the handle till about 8 inches from the tip. There are also some small cracks running here and there; also on the back. I've put crazy glue in all the cracks and varnished the thing all to heck. I'd just like to ask any of you if this bow is going to live or die violently in the near future. Also, have any of you had this problem and how did you save the bow? Thanks for your help.

Offline uwe

Re: cracks on the back
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:24:08 pm »
Sometimes osage does it, sometimes not! My experience. Since I had it first time I do the heating of Osage from that time on only with dry heat. I rub it with with muscrat fat  (any other animal fat will do) and then heat it with a heating pistol? (correct word?).
The fat helps to heat it slow and even and helps not to burn up the wood, although you have to be careful!
When its cold you can keep up work, otherwise with steam it takes up to 2 weeks of waiting.
You can put hideglue into the crack and then wrap it with animalsinew. This will, after it had dried, shrink and hold the wood together.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:49 pm »
Could also be a spring growth ratio causing this to happen. Heard some about it but,dont believe I could explain it as well as some of the other members can.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:40:40 am »
lets see some pictures....normally lateral cracks in Osage wont hurt...but without seeing them ....we really cant tell
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:11:03 am »
If you steam dry osage it will check as it dries! Dry wood-dry heat...wet wood-wet heat!  If you must steam dry osage(any wood) coat the back and ends with shellac. It can take the heat and steam and doesn't allow moisture into the sealed wood.
   Generally, checks don't effect the performance of a bow unless they run off the limb. However some folks find them ugly. I consider these types of cosmetic things as character. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:47:57 am »
I don't steam Osage over 3-4 years old and then only once,if it needs more tweeking after that I use dry heat.Like Pat said if it don't run off it won't hurt anything,just drip some super glue in it
and clamp it shut, and move on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline benjamin

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:10:40 pm »
Thanks for all the help. I think she'll live.