Author Topic: To split or not to split...  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

To split or not to split...
« on: June 30, 2015, 07:43:38 pm »
I have this Osage stave that is a little over 70" long, 4 inches wide down to 3 1/2 inches wide. About 3 inches thick at one end and a little over 2 inches thick at the narrower end. I'm pretty sure I can get two staves big enough for hunting bows from it. Should I chance it or just go for one bow from it? If I recall correctly, the log that this stave came from split very easily and right down the line where I was splitting it. Thoughts?

Offline hunterbob

Re: To split or not to split...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:54 pm »
I would split it starting at the small end .

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:53 pm »
I say go for it.  I got some good advice on how a few weeks ago.  it really helped.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52655.msg714031.html#msg714031

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:49 pm »
Thats not even a question for me. It would already have been split. START AT THE SMALL END ALWAYS!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:47 pm »
Tried to split it, was unsuccessful. Silver lining: It ended up splitting off about a third of the width of the stave and saved me a lot of draw knife work.

Offline Aries

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:30 pm »
I'd use my band saw and follow a drawn centerline that follows the grain.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:25 am »
This is after the fact but I would have core split a stave off the belly then drawn a line following the grain down the center of the stave and cut it on a band saw, Vola, three staves.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:41 am »
Same as Eric. :) O well at least you got one out of it and that's better than the out come could have been. :) Looks like a nice piece of wood. :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:20 am »
  I have had good luck splitting osage staves. Anything over about 3 1/4" I will usually split. Once in a while it doesn't work out as planned but I still end up with one good one even when that happens. Anything besides osage I saw. On the belly splits I have a lower success ratio in getting 2 good ones but it still saves some draw knife work.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:11:05 am »
The narrow end was only about 2 inches thick, that's the only reason I didn't try to get a belly split off of it. No band saw, otherwise I'd have done it up proper.

Offline RAU

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 10:39:56 am »
Oh well atleast you got 1 nice piece of wood out of the deal as said above could have been worse. Its amazing how acurately you can pop a belly split off a big osage stave like that once you've seen someone do it or done it your self. I usually clean up sides a bit so i can follow the ring i want the split to pop at and then using every single flat wedge shaped tool i have or can make i start tapping them in at that ring all around the stave and after a little work they just pop right off usually without any issues. Something to try on your next big stave.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:16 am »
  I made myself a box full of mini splitters for belly splits. 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick and about 4" long. I just ground a wedge on the ends and it works pretty good for accurate belly splits.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 05:55:11 pm »
I have posted this picture before; I do a lot of billet splicing and save the wedges for belly splitting.