Author Topic: 3/4" 65# Ipe  (Read 18774 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: 3/4" 65# Ipe
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:59 pm »
Swee... (a google of e's)... eeet :o! Those old tropical board longbows are simply amazing :)!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:38 pm »
How do you tell the grain on that wood?  I suppose you knew this piece would make a selfbow?  And a beautiful one at that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
Nice job Justin. The tiller looks good, but it appears different from the top to bottom limb. Maybe your just canting it a bit in the picture.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 07:57:55 pm »
Lennie, that is the trick. Yes, I knew it would make a self bow. When it is greased up you can see the grain some. More than that I could feel the grain while I was working it. Here is a picture of the limb where you can see the grain if you get just right.  If you look at the tip of the pin you will see it has a knot in it. I didn't know the knot was there until I felt it with my scraper.  The limb is about 5/8" wide at the knot. This wood was brought back from South America by a friend of Bob, so it might be a little better than average.
Ryan, I was trying to get a picture in the house using a box to hold the camera.  Just getting it in focus was my main goal.  ;) Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 09:38:55 pm »
Man, when I saw the first picture, I didn't know it was the front for a little while because it was so narrow.
Nice job, Justin.
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »
Good looking bow, Justin. Simple=good. Nice bend on it, looks like it's just waiting to be pointed at a deer.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 10:52:38 pm »
That is fine looking bow. My very first bow is Ipe but I couldn't see the grain.  So I had a lot of trouble with splinters which I controlled with electrical tape.  Still have the bow but I haven't shot it for a long time.
Your bow is, of course, bookmarked for Feb Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 11:36:17 pm »
Thanks Sean, to tell you the truth, if the pictures weren't labeled I would have to look a lot harder to see which was front and which was side.
Steve thanks, simple bows for us simple folks.  ;) Ill get it will kill a simple deer.   8)
Don, I appreciate your kind words.  I couldn't really see the grain without some work.  Once I started working I could feel it more than see it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
I love it - great bow man!  Definitely something I'd want to be sneaking through the woods with!!!
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 11:53:57 pm »
That's damned nice Justin - I keep reading on here that epe is for skinny bows, by the deminsions you got there with the poundage I'd say so :). Will have to lay my hands on some of that one day. Oh, tiller looks spot on too...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55:49 pm »
Nice job. Great looking bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 12:20:06 am »
Justin,did you chase a ring,or, are there run-offs?    Beautiful bow.       Thanks, God Bless ,  PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 01:23:18 am »
Thanks Mike
Paul, definitely good for skinny bows.  But then Bob and Rich have been telling us that all along.  ;)
George, I'm glad you like it.
Pete, honestly I can see the grain enough to tell it is running the right direction, but not well enough to see how much run off there is.  It appears to be ring bias. I can say that it is mostly straight grained.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 01:27:42 am »
Nice tooth pic! ;D   Ipe is almost as good as osage...almost! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 01:50:26 am »
Hi Justin,  I'm impressed.  It's a beautiful bow.  I think more and more ipe bows are going to be showing up, but I don't think it's possible to top yours.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers