Author Topic: info needed please  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
info needed please
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:18:54 pm »
I'm on an adventure to learn to flint knapp. I read many books and was on this site for a long time before I ever tried making a bow ( 2 years). With that said once I started I found out I should have been working on a bow the whole time.( I learn more from doing than reading). Where's the best place to start and what's the best starter kit with instructions I can find to get some rocks falling on the dirt? I know absolutely nothing about knapping or stones. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Kenneth Hughes

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: info needed please
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:24:33 pm »
1) What part of the country are you in?  Sending you to find agatized coral in North Dakota would be problematic, even as sending you out to find obsidian in Florida would be. 

2) Pick any two rocks and start hammering while you wait for more information!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:30:07 pm »
I live in Ohio.
I've got lots of concrete here but it just crumbles.     ;D
Kenneth Hughes

AncientTech

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »
Kenny,

The first question that should be clarified is exactly what type of goal or goals do you have, in wanting to learn to knap?  Do you want to reach the goal of making an arrowpoint?  Do you want to copy ancient artifacts?  Do you want to learn about ancient technologies?  Do you want to make tools to hunt with?  Are you interested in the aesthetic aspects of chipped stone, as a form of artwork?

Different people are interested in flintknapping for completely different reasons.  In my own case, my interest and reasons for flintknapping have drastically changed, three or four times, since the mid-1980's.  As a result, my flintknapping has drastically changed three or four times, over the years. 

In the 1980's, I only engaged in spalling, and pressure flaking.  I also made glass tipped arrows, which I shot through bales of Arizona hay.  After getting a tip from a local Pima indian, I learned to harvest "arrow weed" from along canal banks.  And, I scavenged feathers from redtail hawk remains, found in the desert.  I was eventually inspired by meeting an old indian knapper named "Jim Fire Eagle", who traveled to pow wows, to sell arrowheads. 

Then, in the mid-1990's, I was introduced to the antler "baton", and practiced with it, while selling wire wrapped points to the Cherokee Nation gift shop, in Talehqua, Oklahoma.  A Cherokee indian named Noel Grayson taught me how to use the baton.  He is a great bowyer.

Then, in 2010, I realized that there are irreconcilable discrepancies in how American prehistoric flintknapping has been presented, in textbooks.  And, all of my attention has been on making sense out of unstudied data, since 2010, in order to resolve these discrepancies. 

In every phase, my flintknapping has been completely different, because I have had completely different goals in sight.  I am now on my third flintknapping "life", which is worlds apart from the last two.  I say all of this to explain that a person's interest will dramatically affect his goals, in flintknapping.   

Anyway, if you have some idea as to what is driving your interest in flintknapping, then I would suggest starting with videos, rather than books.  As much as I love books, the problem with books - at least when it comes to flintknapping - is that you do not always get the dynamic sense of the process. 

Because flintknapping is very dynamic, there is a certain "monkey see monkey do" element, to it.  On the internet - particularly Youtube - there are plenty of good videos, which should be easy to learn from.  Possibly, the only time that books hold an advantage over videos is when you are looking for really obscure flintknapping data, that no one alive has seen.  But, for the most part, if you are interested in simple, artistic flintknapping, today's processes are probably going to be easier to learn, and to carry out, than the old stuff.  And, I would imagine that the modern techniques have been fully documented in online videos, such as those found on Youtube.

Also, while you are climbing the "learning curve", don't ever let anyone cause you to think that something you made is not worth showing.             

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:30:07 pm by AncientTech »

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:30:35 pm »
I suggest checking out You-tube videos first. There are hundreds or even thousands covering every aspect of flintknapping. They will give you a chance to decide what you might like to start with. If you want to start with something that will give quick results that you can be proud of, try pressure flaking glass. It is a cheap/free and abundant material.

WA

AncientTech

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:47:39 pm »
I agree with Wa,

He is better at summing things up with fewer words!

Ancient Tech

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:51:02 pm »
Howdy Kenny, living in Ohio you may not be far from Flint Ridge and access to poor to great rock. A few gents in the area sell rock or you can dig your own.
Since you are beginning you should just start learning how to remove flakes in a correct method and reducing large pieces to smaller performs. You can decide later where you want to go with your knapping, just learning basics now will be enough challenge.
There is knapping events at different times of the year all around you. Flint Ridge has some good ones and I think one coming up soon. At a knapping event you can get first hand look at tools and methods used. Probably meet like minded people close to you and that will be a tremendous aid.
I beat and broke a lot of rock trying to figure it out on my own. Just setting and watching and talking to others will move you along quicker.
Don't put to much into the big picture right now, just read, watch videos and go to events and your path will evolve....Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:34 am »
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and information. At this point my goal is to learn knapping to make arrow points for my arrows and hopefully one day knives. I'm going to check on the knapp-ins close to me. Unfortunately YouTube isn't an option for me, I live in the middle of nowhere and we don't have internet or Wi-Fi. Only very slow internet on my phone that will not support YouTube. Any suggestions on good starter dvd and starter kits for tools? What kind of glass are you talking about? I heard a long time ago that guys used toilets to practice with. Any truth to that?
Kenneth Hughes