Author Topic: boo back cedar white oak tri lam  (Read 4603 times)

Offline sleek

Re: boo back cedar white oak tri lam
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:15 pm »
Willibow, next time I am up at Patrick's house, I will make another and do it as a build along tutorial for you. Its really simple. I know Patrick wants to make another and I for sure want to build one on a form he has....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 10:36:57 pm »
His form is Terrible and  so are glue lines in a bow.  Hahaha. I'm just kidding.  Bring it to moral and I will break it for you. .. I mean shoot it for you.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:14 pm »
Both bows are coming with me to mojam. I just got the other one to brace. The one pictured so far is going to be Patrick's.  His is a slightly rounded belly. I did that to help reduce weight without loosing too much belly lam. Maybe it makes a difference or not idk.

Mine I just got braced and instead of working the belly lam I cut profile, thinned the belly just a touch for even bending, then trapped the back for further weight reduction. Trapping the back worked great... so far. Point was to touch the belly as little as possible because its already thin. Im at 30#@18 inches and my plan is to make both bows identical in weight/length and compare chrono numbers. However, in trapping the back, the tips are a touch unstable and bend sideways a bit. Hopefully further weight reduction will reduce that. If not, I will open up the tips and insert a bone or some other stiff laminate in there to make it stiffer.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 11:35:48 pm »

And here is number two. Poor tiller, but it is what it is now. 45#@26.

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:04 pm »

I flipped the bow end for end looking for the best tiller. Not sure it made much difference?

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 11:53:52 pm »
The second bow took 2 1/8 inches of set. Probably not going to be a good shooter. Thats interesting because I figured trapping the back would give me less set not more...  The first bow took 1.5 inches of set, not too bad. Im at a loss for the difference.  Perhaps its the poor tiller on the second bow causing the excessive set.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 01:01:25 am »
Thanks Sleek, I would really appreciate a build along!
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 01:06:27 am »
Willibow, next time I am up at Patrick's house, I will make another and do it as a build along tutorial for you. Its really simple. I know Patrick wants to make another and I for sure want to build one on a form he has....

Hey buddy, the bows are looking good! Can't wait to get started on mine.
You're always welcome at my house and my form is always ready for more bows. I think a simple tutorial for these glue ups would be an awesome idea! Just let me know when and we can get together. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:19 am »
Good looking 'failure; nice glue lines too. The white oak likely provided a little extra stability for the cedar.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.