Author Topic: Building the Vine Maple Bow - Finished  (Read 120870 times)

Offline Gordon

Building the Vine Maple Bow - Finished
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:15:17 pm »
Several folks have asked me over the years to do a vine maple bow build-a-long. I had been reluctant because even though vine maple will make a fine bow it can be challenging to work with. The wood may be highly reflexed and have character in the way of knots, nodes, whoop-de-dos and dog-legs. On top of that vine maple wood often has grain swirls that makes it quite difficult to work with traditional tools like a draw knife, spoke shave and scraper. So I didn't think doing a vine maple build-a-long was the best choice for beginner bowyers. But over the last few years I've seen a rise in the popularity of vine maple bows and also there are now sources that can provide very clean vine maple staves (e.g. vinemaplebows) that are actually quite reasonable to work. What follows is a step by step guide to building a vine maple self-bow. Nothing fancy, just a self-bow with a stiff handle and self nocks. I chose to use as few power tools as possible because 1) many novices don't have ready access to power tools and 2) you are much less likely to make a fatal mistake with handle tools. So if you're thinking about tackling your first vine maple bow or just want to see what all the fuss is about, pull up a chair, crack a cold one and enjoy the ride.

I'm starting with a stave that was harvested from the forests of the northern Oregon coast. It was harvested in the spring and was immediately split and debarked. I have rarely had vine maple check on me so I like to remove the bark while it is easy to peel away. This is a pretty typical stave in my area - it has a fair amount of reflex, several knots and dips and a dog-leg at one end.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:08:32 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

Re: Building the Vine Maple Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:16:06 pm »
The first thing I do is draw a line along the highest point (or crown) of the stave. This is important as the crown is not uniform and you want the thickest part of the wood to lie along the center of the bow limbs.

After drawing the center line, I use a piece of leather to mark a series of marks 1" inch to each side of the center. 

When I'm done, I have a stave that is ready to be worked down to a width of about 2"

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »
Using a hatchet I remove the wood outside of the lines.

Wood removal is much easier if you keep your hatchet sharp!

And here is what the stave looks like after working it down after working it down with the hatchet.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:17:30 pm »
This bow is going to be 62" ntn, so I shorten the length to 64" leaving an inch on both ends for the nocks.

I use a sharp draw knife to clean the edges up.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:18:41 pm »
Using my hand as a guide I draw a line 1 1/2" from the back along the length of the stave (I'm leaving enough for a stiff handle if I want it). I do this on both sides of the stave.

I expect some of you are wondering by now why I don't just draw the bow and cut it to rough dimensions in one step and be done with it? The reason is because I generally do not have a firm idea of what design I want to use at beginning stages of making a bow. By taking many steps I have plenty of time to think about how I want the bow to look and kind of "sneak up" on it. I realize this approach isn't for everyone, but I like giving the wood a say on what it wants to be.

Using a hatchet, I remove the excess wood outside of the lines.

Next up will be locating the handle and working down the limb width and taper to rough dimensions.
Gordon

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:20:05 pm »
Awesome another Gordon build along. I must say sir your build along are stellar and very helpful. Thanks for putting in the time to do them.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »
I'm watching :D. I have a Doug Maple stave that is much like that.

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 03:56:47 pm »
   I've been waiting for this for ages.  Thank you so much for your quality builds. Looking forward to each and every post.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 04:02:48 pm »
I need to bookmark this one.  When Gordon starts handing out education, I need to be in the classroom!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 05:08:24 pm »
Awesome! Thank you for your contribution! I'm looking forward to this!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »
Awesome :). I'll be watching
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 07:11:24 pm »
Hooray, another build along! :D Your build alongs ROCK Gordon!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:13 pm »
No vine maple around here but I am pulling up a chair anyway.  I appreciate you taking the time to post this - it ain't every day that you get free lessons from a master craftsman.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline snag

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 08:16:34 pm »
Gordon, I have a piece of vinemaple roughed out. I have been reluctant in continuing with it because of the extreme reflex. I am happy to see this tutorial...good timing. Thank you, David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 08:19:34 pm »
I can't wait for this! I have a piece just waiting for this build along. Thanks Gordon! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!