Author Topic: The First People FYI  (Read 5818 times)

Offline DC

Re: The First People FYI
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 03:21:57 pm »
I don't think that migrating down the coast of BC would be a big deal. There are just as many calm days as windy. They would probably move twenty miles or so and then stop for a few days/weeks/months. There are hundreds of coves and islands to duck behind if the weather comes up. The longest stretch with few coves would be on the south end of the Island and that's 30-40 miles. I don't think the weather would be much different than it is now. Most of our weather comes from the Pacific and I don't think that has changed in the last 20,000 years or longer. With the human mindset that the grass is always greener I'm actually surprised that it didn't happen sooner.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

Zuma,    If a migration had came down the west coast during one of the glaciated periods, and the sea levels were lower than current levels, wouldn't the places that the people camped/stayed be under water off the coast, and not easily accessible or located? Sure it's possible if any boat ever discovered in the world was that old. The oldest river boat I could find was less than half the age of Clovis.
This could account for the lack of evidence.
Yes but it's merly speculation.
And as far as the tumultuous west coast, we cannot know the conditions that existed along the shoreline 15000 years ago. Oh yes science can and does know.
It may have been calmer than now.
Even if it was, it would be such a dangerous and exhausting journey for thousands of miles and dragging ladies and such in tiny skin boats would be a super chore and take many, many years to get enough people to central America or further south to establish a colony big enough to spread through the Americas by the earliest times of Clovis.

Neal
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 04:14:51 pm »
There is also a theory of western Europeans(Scandinavians and Irish) paddled/sailed along the ice from Europe to North America. I'd say it is possible from both directions. The Polynesians sailed all over the Southern Pacific to inhabit many islands and lands so why shouldn't other societies do the same in other parts of the world? 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 08:32:04 pm »
There is also a theory of western Europeans(Scandinavians and Irish) paddled/sailed along the ice from Europe to North America. I'd say it is possible from both directions."

Pat please read my thread " Overshot and Over Atlantic Ice lol" flintknapping forum.
I'd post a link but they never work for me. The guy that made the Clovis point last night, Eren et al has pretty much destroyed the Solutrean Hypothesis Quite recently. Although the Vikings did do it 1,000 or so years ago.

"The Polynesians sailed all over the Southern Pacific to inhabit many islands and lands so why shouldn't other societies do the same in other parts of the world?"

Yes they did Pat but the dates are way more recent. Wind direction and ocean currents could have played a big role. I haven't really checked but I think the voyage from Siberia to the west coast of the Americas would not be any where near as pleasant even today.Brrrr Think Humbolt Current.
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud but I am trying to get some mileage out of all my research.LOL Remember it's just my opinion.
 I think knocking these ideas around is good stuff.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 11:42:11 pm »
I love it all and my research is limited so I appreciate your knowledge. We are all here to learn. I think its interesting how much has changed in the last few years since DNA testing has come about.  I keep an open mind when it comes to history.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 08:58:44 am »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 08:28:35 pm »
It's back on tonight. It was on last Wednesday also.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 08:31:21 pm »
I forgot.  Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 11:36:42 am »
Just chiming in on the speculation.

There is a website claiming that maternal DNA markers found in polynesian ancestry are also found in the Haida Gwaii first nations people.  Some oral traditions and stylized knives and headwear are also somewhat linked to hawaii.

However, there is also clovis evidence in a cave called Gaadu on the Haida Gwaii which was dated to around 13,000 bc that had the remains of grizzly bears and clovis points. There are no grizzlies on the haida gwaii currently.

There are a few crackpot theories of Icelandic "norse" settlement on the west coast, with several folks going to the extremes (fake runes carved into rocks, planted evidence) to try and make it into the history books.

The reason the norse "vikings" left north america(baffin island, nfld) was because of a cooling climate. It can be interpreted that the temperatures where much warmer in the northern hemisphere 5,000 -1500 years ago.

As for the west coast.... the Haida Gwaii routinely paddled to Vancouver for raids. It's a long journey, pretty much Alaska to Washington.   

Also surfing season is in the winter here. We get high pressure that locks in and keeps the ocean flat for months. That is why we can catch so much tasty halibut. (Good jigging weather)

My .00 cents (we got rid of the penny and round down now)

(Edited some dates and names)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:43:15 am by Tree_Ninja »

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »
There is a website claiming that maternal DNA markers found in polynesian ancestry are also found in the Haida Gwaii first nations people.  Some oral traditions and stylized knives and headwear are also somewhat linked to hawaii.

Do you have a link?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 02:43:31 pm »
Thanks for posting the link bubby.
I wish I could make them work??
Pat, I just have more time than most
to do current research. (retired).
I hope you-all check out the interactive
pre Clovis map. It is very informative and
easy to use.
Zuma
PS I have a lot of DNA material I can't
post here but would share on a PM

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 07:13:10 pm »
Do a search on Mitochondrial Eve. Good stuff. We all came from that one human, except 2 people in the entire study. Just reading about it kept me up one night till after 1 AM.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 03:00:23 pm »
Joe, some folks don't want to believe that. They were created 6000 years ago so they aren't related to Mitochondrial Eve.  ::)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »
 ;) they aren't forced to believe. But, facts is facts.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »
 ;)