Author Topic: an incredible serviceberry / saskatoon stave  (Read 1722 times)

Offline bambam

an incredible serviceberry / saskatoon stave
« on: July 07, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »
Some times you just get lucky. I wasn't stave hunting but had my trusty Becker BK9 with me. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. 2.6 inches thick 6 ft 3 in long. Arrow straight with only a few tiny knots close to one end. Got the ends glued up and will let it stand in a basement corner for a year or so. Thinking this will become a reflex-deflex longbow with a recurve handle carved in with a shelf cut close to centre.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline DC

Re: an incredible serviceberry / saskatoon stave
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:07 pm »
That's a nice one!

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:40:42 pm »
holy wow
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »
 Nice stick,
 I started to leave the bark on my Saskatoon stave's. When seasoned for a few months or a year, The bark is thin, you can carefully drawknife it off. I Like to leave some of cambium layer on for contrast, camouflage or you can scrape off with a knife to just plain white wood. Seems like it wants to check more often when I slip the bark off.. Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:13:19 pm »
I found this ameliancher a month ago. I guess I'll just post it here. Im too lazy to take it down from my drying spot. Top peice (fork) I cut off and use as a toe stubber.