Author Topic: Paddle Bow or Flat Bow Help?  (Read 8604 times)

Marshrat

Paddle Bow or Flat Bow Help?
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:23:28 am »
I'm looking at building a new bow. I can get a Black Locust or a Osage Stave I would like to have a Paddle Bow ( I just like the design) . I'm trying for 62" Nock to Nock 50# @ 28". this will be my first bow from stave to bow  My Question is the Paddle or the Flat Bow best for either of these woods and which design is easer for a first timer.
 PS: I have finished a couple roughed out flat bow but thats it.

Thanks for all help and advice.
 Dennis 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Paddle Bow or Flat Bow Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:04:05 am »
Dennis....a Paddle Bow is no easy feat....Tillering these can be a Beast....the Limbs are Lenticular in Shape....Thick and Narrow at the Handle near the Beginnings of the long Fades....but thin drastically at their widest point....and then start to narrow and thicken again all the way to the Pin Nocks......I love making Paddle Bows....but they are not an easy task to Tiller....but they look so Purdy when you finish.....love the smooth curvy lines of a Paddle Bow....sort of like a Young Woman......Gawd thats disturbing!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:05:01 am »
Either will work for a paddle bow but both are a bit heavy(physically). I usually think of yew or ash weight woods for a paddle bow. Of the two, I think the locust would be better suited...there are better designs for osage. For a first stave bow I'd go with osage.
    So, now that I have confused you...have fun! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Marshrat

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:49:47 am »
Thanks Guys I'll go with the Flat bow. I want to go with a 60" or 62"  50# to use for Turkey hunting. A lot of sitting and kneeling shots will this work well with a 28" draw or is there a better design?
PS: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Paddle bow pic

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:27:53 am »
Thanks Guys I'll go with the Flat bow. I want to go with a 60" or 62"  50# to use for Turkey hunting. A lot of sitting and kneeling shots will this work well with a 28" draw or is there a better design?
PS: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Paddle bow pic
Thanks Dennis....I am really partial to the Paddle Bow....it is a design that can be left strung all day and does not take it serious....They take it on the Chin...I have only one Paddle Bow that has any String Follow....and I did that myself by working it when the Moisture Content was way too high....so I learned from this mistake too!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:30:51 am »
The bow I made to hunt with this year is a 60"t/t osage bow with slight static recurved tips. This bow is 1 3/8" at the fades, 1 1/4" half way out and 3/8" tips. It pulls 56#@26". It would easily take a 28" draw.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:18:07 am »
Dennis I Like the name !
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Marshrat

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:58 pm »
Ok I received my Black Locust Stave today. It is still a little green. at what moister content should I be looking for before starting work? My elbow has healed nicely so I'm may look at bumping the draw to 60 to 65#  @28"flat bow any thoughts and comments on dimensions would help. Thanks All   

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 09:15:36 pm »
You can rough it out anytime, this will help it dry quicker. Might want to strap it to a 2x4 so it don't warp if you do rough it out.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:37:25 am »
At 60"-62" and 60-65# @ 28, I'd make the locust at least 1 3/4" wide fades to midlimb. A couple inches longer, or a few pounds lighter, 1 5/8" should work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:35:43 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.