Author Topic: Short bows  (Read 24132 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Short bows
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 09:39:15 am »
Somemore fine looking short bows.Very nice. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 06:47:49 am »
Here is another short one I built last year.It is a little over an inch wide almost full length and
52 n-n slight bend in the handle.53@25.Shoots nice.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:18 pm »
Got your short ash bow bookmarked for February Self Bow of the Month.  Good job and you opened up a very good thread. Keenan's Cascara is one of my favorites. :-*
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 09:57:40 pm »
These came from Mickey Lotzs,but we have carp that big around here,I just haven't
went after them in a while.Now that I see how they work I plan to this spring while they
are spawning.  :)
   Pappy

Pappy when you get some....lets do some trading...I would really like to try a set of them greasy Hides!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 11:18:22 pm »
 Manny; I remember that bow very well. That was one of my favorites that you have made.

As Oldbow said, This is a really neat thread. Love them shorties.

Thanks Oldbow and others for the compliments,   That little cascara has me always looking for natural formations.   Keenan

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 11:59:31 pm »
some really cool bows! Keenan likes it when I make short bows cuz he can shoot them a lot better than me, and he sometimes ends up with them ;D here is a pic of a sinew backed yew, northern california style, it is 46" and 50#@20" a real screamer, but my draw is too long to shoot it accurately. (no Keenan, you cant have it 8))

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 12:46:01 am »
Dave!  If Kennan cant have it can I????;D  I hope to make one similar to that one some day.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 03:07:36 am »
 Dave ,whats up bro I thought we was buds ;D ;D ;D  I told ya you just keep them shorties coming and I'll start working on soome good old long bows that you can draw ;D >:D   Keenan

Ps. nice bow

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 02:57:51 pm »
One of you wordsmiths ought to write up this thread for PA.  
It has lots of great narratives and pictures
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 02:40:48 am »
Too bad the Guy that started this Thread felt like He didn't and couldn't belong....and pulled His Membership :(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 04:48:01 am »
Gosh guys after looking at all those great shorties I do believe I shall try one afer I get a few stave bows under my belt, although I have been leaning in the 64"-66" range since I started. I figure to do a shorty pyramid osage.Maybe 55"  What do you guys think. I pull 26" so thats not real long. Should'nt be a danger at 50# should it? Maybe let it bend in the handle some so I don't have to back it and I can get the whole limb working.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 01:02:10 pm »
if you are going to build short bows, it would be a good idea to keep the belly somewhat flat to distribute the tension force. a pyramid design concentrates the compresion more. just a thought, see what some of the others think. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 01:15:04 pm »
Danny, Going from 64"-66" I would try a 60" first. I have built a few 60"er now(osage) with stiff handles that pulled 55#@26"...1 3/8" at the fades and out to 3/8" tips. By moving slowly to shorter bows you will be able to finesse tiller more smoothly than with an abrupt length change. I am now considering shorter bows for the future just to see if I can but I'm leaning back towards a 64" to 66" straight limbed bow for my next years hunting bow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 02:52:31 pm »
man i love looking at these awesome primitive bows!
jamie

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 03:44:09 pm »
Thanks Pat, I'll take that into consideration. Maybe make the next one. 64 then 62 then 60. that ought to get me going in the right direction.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God