Author Topic: Medieval iron point question  (Read 2398 times)

Offline bdog

Medieval iron point question
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:00:16 pm »
Hey all....been a long time since last post but I ran across something and I'd like the opinion of the board on it. I was at our local Renaissance fair and I saw a guy with a bunch of reproduction medieval points, including one that I'm sure we've all heard refer ed to as a "rope cutter" point. He was of the opinion that the popular idea was incorrect and that these were actually a small game or bird point. The design looks like a crescent moon with the inside radius of the curve sharpened and facing down range (towards the target) it's a common design throughout the world I saw examples from Asian and India as well. What's the general consensus on this point? I looked at the Internet and there was no real conclusive information easily found. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:54:41 pm by bdog »

Offline DC

Re: Medieval iron point question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
I would really like to see one tested. I don't think they would cut rope at all. A blade has to slice to cut rope and these "points" would slice a bit until they centered on the rope and then it would be like trying to cut a rope with an axe. With no backing it would take a lot of hits.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:25:10 am »
They have rope cutting contests with knives.  The record is over 10.  With a sharp edge and enough speed, I don't doubt it could cut it.  I do doubt that is what they were for.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:26:40 am »
If you post this on the "War Bow" section you will get more replies. Those guys are more familiar with the different Medieval points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:32:28 pm »
Even if they were for rope cutting the usage scenarios, at least to my thinking, don't match up with how common that design is around the world. The only real usage scenario I can come up with is naval combat....

Offline bdog

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 02:51:49 pm »
Good idea I'll repost to the warbow section. I agree it seems unlikely that rope cutting would be achieved. The arrow would ted to rotate in flight as well so the blades would not always be in alignment with the ropes. Quite correct the design is fairly universal throughout the world. The only thing i noticed was that in Asian references they refer to these as "standard cutters" indicating they were used for use against signaling devices? I also saw one article where they mentioned use as an anti horse weapon perhaps smaller diameter lines and reigns? In modern hunting Ive use a four bladed tip called a turkey guillotine that actually works exceptionally well, takes the head clean off. If it is a game point though why are they found on battlefields? Interesting.