Author Topic: what are your other hobbies?  (Read 12737 times)

Offline sleek

Re: what are your other hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 11:10:11 pm »
So glad I asked! This thread is turning awesome!  Just like all the work posted so far!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 11:16:07 pm »
Cycling was my passion for most of adult life including 15 years of competitive road racing with fall/winter consumed by mountain biking.  Then came dog showing ... wire fox terriers ... and that's where the forum name came from.  Then motorbiking.  Then back to cycling ... this time self-contained touring, including 3 1/2  months on the road for 4,200 mile x-country tour.  Then making slingshots.  And NOW archery, including many attempts at making bows.  There's always been fishing & camping.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 08:59:10 am »
I paint a little, usually landscapes in acrylic.  I pick guitar and sing a little.  Before this bow building stuff bit me so hard, just about every off day was devoted to a canoe trip, and I still enjoy seeing what's around the next bend on a river I haven't been down yet.  I love to fish, pretty much any kind of fishing will do, but catfish are my favorites.  Pulling a big flathead out from his hole is good stuff.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 09:07:27 am »
I do a little fly fishing and tie my own flies. Someday I want to make a bamboo fly rod.

Offline bubby

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 12:14:09 pm »
Here's a cigar box diddly bo guitar i just finished for my grandson logan

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »
What's the piece of tubing in the box for?

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 01:09:19 pm »
That's the slide, diddly's are slide guitars
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »
Thanks,I was thinking it was some kind of rhythm thing and was trying to imagine the co-ordination required to strum and shake to rhythm at the same time.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 02:10:08 pm »
Fishing. Camping. My puppy. My wife. I like the idea of gardening but I'm not very good at it. Exploring the areas around me. It is surprising how much there is to see within an hour of my place.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:58 pm »
Fishing. Camping. My puppy. My wife. I like the idea of gardening but I'm not very good at it. Exploring the areas around me. It is surprising how much there is to see within an hour of my place.
If I included my wife in my hobbies list she would immediately begin her favorite hobby - hitting me about the head and face till I say my standard "I'M SORRY BABY" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Good stuff JoJoDapyro!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »
Blacksmithing, fishing and making my own steelhead and trout spinners, jigs and flies.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:37 pm »
My wife is a good sport. Unless I'm hunting she will go.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 04:29:14 am »
Fishing has always been a passion. Fish mainly for Walleyes and River Smallmouth Bass, but adhere to the saying "I like anything that stretches My string!". Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 09:42:28 am »
Sleek, Nice to see another boatmaker on here!  Traditional skin-on-frame kayak building, paddling, and rolling has usurped bow making for me.  Unless it's frozen, I'm on the water most of the year.  I also like keeping in shape, cooking, shooting and hunting with flintlocks, making their accoutrements like bags, powderhorns, etc. (but I don't build flintlocks like Erik!), cross-country skiiing, woods bumming, camping, and fishing.  Alpine snowboarding (race/carving boards) is cyclical for me, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFnb_XXf_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HI8vVCswlg

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
I too built my own kayak.  It was a great project.  I used the stitch and glue method.  It is a 14 footer.  I'll have to post pics, since Chamookman and I are still scheduled to go fishing with them. 

Lately, the guitar bug has bitten me.  I've wanted for my entire life to learn to play.  Been to too many campfires only wishing that I could join in on the fun (Beau Baggett, Will Harrison, Floyd Wells, Jimmy Doolittle, Yankee Mike and others)  Miss Heather got me started with a Christmas present guitar.  In the last two months, I've been unable to put it down.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI