Author Topic: Fletching  (Read 4729 times)

PAWannabe

Fletching
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:38:27 am »
What is the optimal fletching length and height? One of my co-worker gave me the wings from the turkey he shot on Wednesday, so I get my first attempt at fletching arrows. Thanks!

Offline DanaM

Re: Fletching
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:12 am »
Depends on what yer shooting I guess, field points you can get away with less fletching, broadheads can require a bit more to
stabilize the arrow. I generally use about a 5" fletch.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:44:14 pm »
I agree with Dana and shoot 5" but you can use less or even 5.5". You might want to experiment and see what you like.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:28:54 pm »
I shoot 5 inch...any longer get torn up on my Bow when they are drawn back...I keep my stuff at a short Brace Height...and long feathers take a beating
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 02:33:32 pm »
Usually 5" here too. Sometimes 5 1/2" on broadheads.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 04:25:34 pm »
I usually use 5 1/2" high back fletchings. The optimal size feathers are the ones that shoot best from your bow and with your style. The smaller ones are better because of less drag but it does depend on what works best for you.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »
   It really depends on how far you are shooting and if you are shooting through heavy, thick brush. If you are shooting through small openings in brush and short ranges you will need longer, higher fletching. That way the arrows straighten up quicker from the paradox and clear the tight openings cleaner.

If you are shooting longer distances, than you can go with shorter profile, and shorter fletching to reduce drag and noise.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

PAWannabe

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 09:42:01 pm »
Thanks guys. What do you mean by high and low profile? 1" and 1/2"? Something else?  I would be limiting myself to 20 yards.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 10:37:08 pm »
There is no optimal fletching length. Some foks dont even use fletch fer shots up ta 15-18 yards..........bob