Author Topic: White Oak high SG?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline punch

White Oak high SG?
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:15 pm »
I am working on a short bow. I picked up some white oak at home depot with pretty straight grain.  I noticed it was heavy but I didn't pay much attention to it. I got the bow roughed out and noticed it is still really heavy.   It feels good and dry and it is kindled dried so I had a small piece left over. I put some markings on it and put it in a bowl of water. It sunk until the top of the wood was just barely a millimeter above the water surface.   That would put it very close to 1 SG.  Is that normal or even possible for white oak?  I am in San Diego and the humidity has not been too high.  TBB 4 lists white oak around .67 SG

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: White Oak high SG?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:09 pm »
I wonder if the white oak is truly American white oak or some other look alike.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:49 am »
Is the wood diffuse porous?  It might be live oak.  Josh

Offline punch

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:29:19 am »
No it looks ring porous

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:51:23 am »
It was just a thought.  I've had some of my native bur oak (which is sold as white oak) test in the low .80s on rare occasion, but never quite that dense.  I'm sure it's possible.  There is a lot of variations within a specific species.  The .67 sg would just be an average for reference purposes only.  It should make a good bow anyway.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:11 am »
Can you check the moisture?  The white oak I've dealt with has all had good physical weight but I never checked the actual weight or the S/G.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline punch

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:49 am »
I am quite happy it is so dense.  I was looking for hickory but didn't find any that had good grain.  I settled with the oak which looks like it will be better than the hickory

Offline punch

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:55:55 am »
No I do not have a moisture meter but it feels and cuts like very dry wood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:08 am »
White oak is a pretty good but rarely used bow wood compared to other common woods. The white oak I've used is a lot better than the red oak I've gotten from Lowe's.

Offline punch

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:08:13 am »
Yes this is the first time I have seen it at home depot and it was a lot better than the red oak

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 07:39:02 am »
As mentioned earlier there are several different species of white oak and the density/weight can vary based upon other factors as well. You should have a pretty good candidate to work with.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:39 am »
I like the white oak as bow wood....but as an aside, the USS Constitution, a US Frigate had 12/14 inch hull planks of white oak and they would take a point blank shot from a British long barreled 12 pounder (naval rifle).....it's tough.
rich

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:12 pm »
You can determine the moisture content without a meter.  Cut off a small sample.  Weight it.  Put it in the oven or toaster oven or in the sunshine or wherever where it will dry bone dry.  Weigh it again. 

(Green weight - dry weight) / dry weight

Much more accurate than a meter.

Are the rings very wide?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:57 pm »
I thought it was live oak they used on the constitution?