Author Topic: Elm Hall Raffle Bow Builds  (Read 24005 times)

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
Re: Elm Hall Raffle Bow Builds
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
Haven't touched mine yet.  Currently working on a osage bow for a Heart Association raffle this Feb.  I may split out a stave from the elm 1/2 log tonight.
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:40 pm »
Got started on the first of hopefully two bows to come out of the elm tree I cut for the raffle bow build. Started with the half with natural deflex built in. Had the approx. 4" dia. log still in the round until this past weekend and Pearly kindly sawed it in half for me on his band saw while I was at his place. I managed to rough one half out with the hatchet and bend it on the caul this week and heres where it sits now. Still a ways to go but its underway and once a bow gets started there is no stopping. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 08:07:21 pm »
Good to see where you're at Greg!
Couple days ago I was thinking to myself, "What's goin' on with those Elm Hall elm poles?"
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 08:08:38 pm »
Is that a stiff handled bow Greg?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »
I forgot to remove the wood at the handle Paul. It may end up bendy, not sure just yet. I deviated from my original plan completely when I took a good look at the stave. I may even make this a ladies or youth weight bow and use the other reflexed stave for a mans weight bow. Either way they will be two different styles and not the matching his and hers set like I first had in mind.

blackhawk

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:30 am »
Im diggin that profile Greg ;)

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 12:13:15 pm »
Looking Good Greg!
I like how you are using spacers on your cull to build in reflex into this bow, I assume that's what you're doing. I'm sure it will be a nice bow what ever weight you end up at. 

Guess I should start my elm hall bow soon.  I'm just finishing up my "heart ball" auction bow this weekend.  I'll start a thread so you guys can have a look.

Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:18 pm »
Greg....a stiff handle bow? First Pauly seen the light, and then there was one :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:41:17 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 09:21:33 am »
Looking like its a good profile Greg.  I haven't seen a bow like that from you sense that white oak one I think

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 09:43:30 pm »
Finally got after my piece of Elm tonight. After I cut it back in August I took all the bark off let it sit in the whole log for a month or so and split it in half. It was about a 4-inch log. Been sitting ever since and as I started to work on it I realized there are some splits that went off center. Must have happened when I split it. So realizing I almost don't have enough wood to make an adult size Bow figured might as well build a little kid one. This one is 49 tip to tip with a little pistol grip and cut in shelf. I'm  shooting for  15 pounds at 18 inches. Should be about perfect for a 5 to 7 year old kid. Hopefully the other piece can get maybe a mid weight bow out of for a lady or a teenager. Even if I end up only getting a couple of kid bows to donate I'd much rather make a couple of kids day then one grown man. Here the first one is after heat treating

Offline bubby

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »
Ohhhh I'm likeing that handle some lucky kid will shoot the snot out of that Pauly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:57 pm »
Shaping up nicely there Paul, having some kids bows on the raffle table will be great.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 12:05:54 am »
Might have to send some $$ up there to bid on that un.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 08:18:50 am »
Looking good so far Pauly. Mine is still in the round. I need to get it cut in half soon.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2016, 06:12:43 pm »
Got it to full brace and drawing to 18", as it sits right now it is at 40# at 18".  Put it back in the hotbox for the night, should be able to tiller out to full draw in fairly short order at my next opportunity to work on it. I'm pleased with how it's coming along so
far.