Author Topic: is this hickory worthy as a backing strip? actually with pics this time.  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Aries

I got this 65 inch hickory backing strip in a trade several years ago and the guy who sent it to me said that if used the smooth side of the hickory as the backing that the knots would not compromise the bow.  What do yall think?

The hickory is a quarter inch thick and the ipe is just and hair under a quarter inch thick. The final bow will ideally be 60 pounds at 28 inches. How big of a power lam do you think I should use for this set up?
I appreciate any feed back!
Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline dylanholderman

i haven't built any board bows like this before, (so take my word with a grain of salt) but i don't know how much i would trust that backing strip personally. 

Offline Aries

Those are my thoughts too, I have two just like this one so I'm hoping I can get something out of them. I was thinking if I did a long power lam That maybe it would help reinforce the potential weak spots.
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline LittleBen

I can't see the grain clearly enough to say anything meaningful. Those knots could be avoided I think, but it's hard to say.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I've made hickory backed bows with hickory backing that looked worse than that and never had a back failure(one exception but for another time), but I knew where the hickory came from and how it was treated from the stump. I'm not saying to use it but giving my experience.
Try to get the knots in the handle . What does the rest of the grain look like in the working portion of each limb?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

I wouldn't dream of using that..... :o
I've had hickory blow plenty of times. I learnt the hard way! I used to make loads of elbs, which are maybe a little more stressed than flatbows but still I won't go near any hickory that isn't straight edge straight. It's just not worth going to all the time and effort then having it blow at full draw......and even if it makes it to full draw...can you really have confidence in it?
Also that splice in the ipe needs recutting.

Offline Aries

The rest of the hickory I'm the working limb is pretty good quality. I'd give it a b+ I think I will be able to center these knots over the handle if i shorten my length down to 60in.
                               ~Abraham Maslow

blackhawk

Yeah..putting those two knots in your handle,and cutting it a couple inches past those knots at each end is about the "best" possible way to try and use it....but personally i wouldnt use it...ive had a couple hickory blow on me,and id rather give myself a better chance than that. Theres a reason why clean wood is preached so much. ;)

Offline LittleBen

I think it might be ok, but who really knows until you try.

Honestly if your tiller is perfect you're probably Ok, but if not then ..... BOOM!

I also think it can depend what you're backing. If you were backing walnut, then I'd say hickory is sooooo much stronger it probably won't matter, but Ipe is a rare bird in that it is so ridiculously strong.
That backing strip is not ok for a highly stressed design (I.e. Trapped back, reflex, long draw, high draw weight, narrow limbs etc.)
I'd make it as long and wide as you can, don't glue the bow up with more than a hair of reflex, and tiller carefully to a moderate weight like 45# if you're set on using it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
I wouldn't use it. I see more knots and that means plenty of swirls to boot. If your like most of us, hickory is everywhere to be purchased cheap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

Re: is this hickory worthy as a backing strip? actually with pics this time.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 11:26:39 am »
I wouldn't use it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Aries

Re: is this hickory worthy as a backing strip? actually with pics this time.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 12:33:49 pm »
I appreciate the feed back guys I'll retire this strip from bow wood pile and move it to the fire wood pile  :laugh:
                               ~Abraham Maslow