Author Topic: Old Fart Club  (Read 4308 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Old Fart Club
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »
 Well I guess I'm "officially" an old fart, now. I finally had to break down and get two hearing aids yesterday ::). It was that or lose my CDL license in a couple of weeks when my physical is due. They are hard to get used to but what an amazing difference. I had an 88% loss in the left ear and 62 in the right so it was time to do something. It might be nice this year to be able to tell where that turkey is when he gobbles.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Old Fart Club
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »
What? :)

Im sure my shop, guns and drums ears will wear out sooner than later Eddie, Im right behind you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 02:58:33 pm »
I can hear ya, Pearlie ;) 40 years of drill rigs, 30 years running an airboat with airplane engine and headers, guns, dynamiting, power tools and rock concerts pretty much did a job on them.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:59:12 pm »
I bet your wife will be thrilled! My grandpa always pretended that he couldn't hear my grandma, then they gave him a new technology that allowed my grandma to have a mic, connected to his hearing aids that she wore around her neck.  :o Poor guy! No wonder he didn't make it too long after that!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:43 pm »
Plenty of life in the old dog yet... I'd rather have you alongside me in a tight spot than some young whipper-snapper.
I mean... we might not get out of the tight spot, but we'd have a damn good laugh tryin' :laugh:
All the best
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:15:04 pm »
Del, I would take a brain over a body any day. Not that Mullet doesn't have a body. Plus there is crazy old man strength!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:50 pm »
Been fighting the VA since 2011 for hearing aids and finally won the battle  two months ago.  Instead of setting up an appointment for the hearing aids I had to get a complete physical at the VA, now chest xrays next week.  I asked about when I get tested again for the hearing aids and was told, some time later.

At least the checks are coming on time.  AH the good ole government.  But it will be worth the wait as I understand they are expensive.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »
Mullet, That first close gobble on opening morning will probably make you jump out of the blind.  You should be able to hear the deer walking in on you this fall to.

I keep telling the wife we should invest in some hearing aid technology companies.  The younger generation can't function without headphones blaring music from their phones.  They will be needing hearing aids by their 40's.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »
I've already got damaged hearing in lefty- too amny times of not wearing my ear plugs in factories. Trying to mitigate it now, with a little one on the way I want to be able to hear them laugh.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 06:31:04 pm »
Well I guess I'm "officially" an old fart, now. I finally had to break down and get two hearing aids yesterday ::). It was that or lose my CDL license in a couple of weeks when my physical is due. They are hard to get used to but what an amazing difference. I had an 88% loss in the left ear and 62 in the right so it was time to do something. It might be nice this year to be able to tell where that turkey is when he gobbles.

I have two aids for a hearing loss similar to yours. I've had them for 6 years now. The bad news is that I can't tell direction worth a darn. When I hear a bird in the bush it usually turns out to be about 45 degrees to the left of where I thought it was. You would think that you would get used to that but it's harder than you think. Other than that they are great. Hope yours work a bit better direction wise.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:05:21 pm »
Del; you and JoJo are funny.

DC I bought one of the Zounds last nite, it has a remote, battery charging system and batteries free for life. I can use the remote to block out different settings of background noise, increase/decrease volume in each ear and there is an App for my IPhone to do the same in case I lose my remote. And nobody noticed I was wearing them at work till I said something about them. I was a little sad when I found out my insurance didn't cover a dime of it, though. But it's still worth it, I had the longest talk in five years with my Daughter tonight with a room full of family jabbering.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:14:38 pm »
Mine are much the same. The Workers Compensation Board determined that my hearing loss was work related and they cover all costs. They are not top off the line though. The WCB decides what model they will provide. It's sure a lot better than going without. Some people only wear them once in a while but I put mine in when I get up and take them out when I go to bed. You get used to them way faster that way. They're not perfect but it's sure nice to hear bird song again. I thought all the birds had died.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 08:19:53 pm »
I'm doing the same, putting them in going to work, getting used to them. I'll discuss the workman's comp part when I get ready to retire.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 08:33:33 pm »
In six years I've forgotten to put them in about a dozen times. I remember before I get to the bottom of the stairs :D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:44 pm »
Ears are ok. But seems can't walk past a bathroom door without stopping in for a visit.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857