Author Topic: Is anyone hunting this year?  (Read 8392 times)

Offline paoliguy

Re: Is anyone hunting this year?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:45 pm »
Ill be in a tree at daylight October 1st with a stick and a string in my hand

me too!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
Sept 14th!  Less than a month away, man I gotta get busy, i got a lot to do by then.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 01:29:08 pm »
I usually play the crunch time game myself A-a-ron. However, the last few years Ive jumped on my hunting arrows early so I don't have to rush. Finding a bow isn't a problem :) , getting good hunting arra's can be!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 02:30:59 pm »
I'm going to start deer hunting September 1st, I'm thinking black powder in October for elk but will see how hot they are come 9/12 for the bow opener, maybe chase an elk with the bow. Good Luck to you all in what ever you go after. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:40 pm »
I usually play the crunch time game myself A-a-ron. However, the last few years Ive jumped on my hunting arrows early so I don't have to rush. Finding a bow isn't a problem :) , getting good hunting arra's can be!
That's exactly my story this year Pearlie,  gotta make some proper arras.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »
Now I just need to talk myself into shooting at a deer. The older I get, the more I watch them. Im not covered up in deer and can go weeks between opportunities within 15-18 yards. I tell myself, "next buck that comes by is getting one sent his way". Then that time comes and he just breezes by me. I must be getting soft, and/or lost my desire to take more deer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 07:48:14 pm »
Woohoo! Only 18 more days! I'm heading to the breaks for the opener to hunt elk, then coming back home for a couple weeks to hunt muleys and antelope, the last week of September I'll head back to the breaks for 10-12 days, then home again and then can rifle hunt antelope for a couple more weeks, then I'll pull out the old ruger m77 and head for the rough country after the big muleys.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Little John

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:26 pm »
Great, I am shooting well, this mornings scouting was really encouraging, I procured permission to hunt the very promising private property I scouted this morning with miles and miles of BLM land and canyons behind it., been doing bike rides and hiking. Was finding lots of elk sign then smelled something dead, looked around and there was a dead bull elk, I want to belive it was lightning struck, but maybe poached. Three miles from the house. I want to pack in five gallons of water for camping and drinking (hunting the desert is different) every thing else can be ultra lite backpacking.                      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »
Sounding promising, Kenneth. Maybe Elkie will get her christening this season.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 12:47:36 am »
I think so Pat.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 10:13:27 pm »
Naturally Kenneth! Your welcome to fly up and live with us for a week.
  Man that would be great, but am too broke to make it this year. Enjoy and live it like it could be the last hunt . kenneth

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 11:15:42 pm »
I drew a bull elk tag, a any deer tag, and an antelope tag for here on the ranch. Also headed to Alberta to hunt moose and fish in the middle of Sept.  Maybe after this year I should hang up my bow and just take pictures.  Planning to hunt with the bows from past Classics.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 07:58:40 pm »
I have the following tags in my pocket, in no particular order:

Bighorn sheep ewe (North Breaks)
General Elk
General Deer
Whitetail Doe (Regional)
Antelope (Archery Only)
Black Bear
Cow elk (South Breaks)
Turkey

Virginia is for lovers, Montana is for hunters! Hopefully I'll fill as many of these with my bow as I can. Just finished my osage bow (billets courtesy Osage Outlaw) and am fletching my hunting arrows tonight. Antelope season has already started - I'm slow! Elk and deer open September 5th.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 09:24:42 pm »
Oh, I plan on it!  Been shooting today as a matter of fact.  I have made deer cocaine and my son-in-law has some very nice bucks on his camera.  Even a black bear in Central Arkansas. But I do have a question.  Does any one use aluminum arrows?  I've been fletching my own wood arrows but tried a friends aluminum and they fly much faster.  I hate to add new to primitive and was wondering if anyone else does.
Thanks

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 11:22:07 pm »
Tiredtim, those arrows aren't flying faster because of the material, per se - a lighter arrow will fly faster out of the same bow, so I'd be curious to see the weight difference between the two. Speed alone isn't the single most important factor of a hunting arrow; momentum and force are a factor of both weight and speed. For an exaggerated example, a ping pong ball hitting a window at 100mph won't do the damage a golf ball going 50mph will. Things to keep in mind.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln