Author Topic: A bit of a rant  (Read 4199 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Re: A bit of a rant
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:36 pm »
Alright, here are a few pictures. I'll try to approach it as neutral as I can, and you guys tell me if anything looks more-obviously-wrong than I can see.

Some of the pictures are flipped, being right in one photo and left in the other, but hopefully you can make sense of it.

Let's play Find the Fret! (I already said where it was, but if you missed that in the OP, instead of going back and reading, look for where it's bending too much.)

Just started bending, with only some twist removed.

After tempering and adding in some reflex.

Last bends with the "long" string.

Low brace.

"Short" string pulled to I think 14".

This is a good opportunity for you to really fine tune your tillering.

It may well be that saving some to use as a teaching tool wouldn't be a bad idea. I've read many times that black locust, for instance, is a bowyer's best teacher.

In my (perhaps unfounded) opinion, these particular pieces are just bad. I'd wager more unforgiving than locust, but I don't know. It's just that on all three the tiller isn't that far off, again, in my estimation.

Plus, on top of that, many of the staves are somewhat sub-par, with twist etc. It'd be a lot of work with the heating and twisting and in some cases backing just for a lesson. Plus, if black locust is a teacher, there is black locust around -- I just need to find some that's not in places like public parks....

Check the mass on the bows that you allready completed and see what it is. We have a phrase around here we quote often but not often enough. " never bend the limb any further than what it takes to expose an area that needs work, this might mean two inches of bend. Try again!!

I really should get a scale and try tillering by mass. That said, I already follow the "no set tillering" method that you've outlined many times pretty carefully. It was one of the easiest ways to see good results as a beginner/novice. In this particular case I was able to pull to 16 without losing any weight, but when pulled to 18 I'd lose just a bit. So I was basically just working on weight reduction. It had only been pulled to 18" about 6 times.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 02:45:56 pm »
I see nothing alarming Tony. You have one limb stronger than that other, but no bad bending portions. If a wood is so sensitive that it has to be super babied to coax a bow from it? Its not good bow wood and absolutely nothing I'd carry when it mattered.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 03:03:13 pm »
Just my 2 cents. I don't know of your experience with building bows. I know that the failure of many people here is due to going faster than you should. I am super slow, and over careful. I wouldn't go so far as to call me a bowyer yet. Go slow, and don't try to work through your frustration. Learn to stop when things aren't working so you can get a fresh set of eyes on the issues.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:03 pm »
In the bottom photo, Nakedfeet, the left limb is really stiffer than the right limb. Looks like the stave is rocking to the left. Most of the bending on the right limb is taking place mid limb on. Not much bending in the near handle wood.

I'm having trouble keeping all of these photos  straight. LOL.
Don't be ashamed of frets we've all had them.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 03:11:16 pm »
did the frets start before you heat tempered

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 05:03:02 pm »
Burn it. It's done it's job. It's already made you a better bowyer.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »
Yeah, those particular photos weren't the latest looks I had at it, just the pictures I had. (I tend to take them as I go because seeing problem areas in a picture tends to be easier for me.) I had gotten the limbs close to even.

The fret (singular) popped up after tempering.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:20 pm »
What about making arrow shafts from them ???