Author Topic: Looking for a Colorado Bowyer to mentor me.... or Florida too.  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Able Arrow

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and started the process on a Red oak board. Floor tiller complete. Can seem to shed the work obligations and honey do's for more time in the garage. Anyways, I'm not close to finishing this thing and I'm already on the hunt for the next step. Addicted for sure....

I'm looking for someone willing to spend some time with me over a few days when time allows in order to teach me the in's and outs of this craft. The closer to Colorado Springs, the better. Heck, Florida may be an option too, but that's still a year or two away, and I want to learn sooner than later.

A little about me. I'm a 20+ year trad nut. I'm in the Military and approaching retirement. Originally from Florida, but Uncle Sam has had me all over the globe the last 18 years. Currently in beautiful Colorado. I would like to spend some of my time off making shavings. I told the wife if I get good enough at this, I'll sell off all my custom bows and buy her a new pair of shoes. My kids are still young enough to appreciate what I make them and not some new shiney Gee Wizz gadget. I always appreciated anything crafted from wood, and would like my children to also appreciate it. Now it's my turn to craft some functional art, but I have a LONG road ahead of me. I'm very new to this, but consider myself more handy than the average guy. I just need a real mentor and not just the web. Can anyone help? Point me in the right direction..

Offline bubby

Re: Looking for a Colorado Bowyer to mentor me.... or Florida too.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:31:16 am »
Welcome to the craft able arrow and thanks for your service, i can't help you with a mentor but I'm sure someone will chime in
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:35:57 am »
I am in Cortez Co.  but that is a long ways from the Springs, Maybe some one will chime in. If not just get a set of the Traditional Bowyer Bibles and you will get it figured out. Good luck. You might consider going and spending a week with someone like Mike Yancey.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:55:16 am »
The path to making one isnt so long as you think.... but to perfection, follow the yellow brick road.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:11:39 am »
There are a few of us here in Florida, Mullet I know is one, me makes two, and I think there are a few more scattered around the state. And Little John is right, definately get the Traditional Bowyers Bible, all four if you can.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:09:16 pm »
At least 4 people on here I know of from Florida.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:56:21 pm »
I have a friend that just moved to Colorado Springs. He also is looking for people who do this stuff. PM me and I can put you in touch with him.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »
Yep, I'm in Florida and you wouldn't be the first one to shave some wood at my house. Your always welcome and If you get down here I'm not far from Mc Dill.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Able Arrow

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 01:01:50 am »
Thanks for all the replys, and offers. Mullet, my family is in Tampa, and I'm planning on heading back when I retire. I visit often, so I'll let you know when I'm in town.

JonW, will do.

Little John, I'm not opposed to driving 6 hrs for a weekend of bow building.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:44:21 am »
I'm right outside of Tampa too. Though mullet is much better at this than me.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 07:51:37 pm »
I'm easy to get in touch with unless I'm hunting. Seminolewind is in Tampa, also. Building a huge house on Bayshore blvd.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?