Author Topic: slag glass point  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Josh B

slag glass point
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:58:09 pm »
First flake I grabbed out of my bucket was some slag glass straightarrow gave me.  It works exactly like obsidian.  I tried notching with a sharpened tine instead of my copper notcher and kind of screwed it up.  I need to get me an ulna bone.  It ain't perfect, but it should do it's job if I do my part.  Thanks for looking.  Josh

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: slag glass point
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:10 pm »
Looks good to me Josh.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »
Lookin good doc.
You can get some of the wildest colors in that
 slag glass. I usually wind up with bubbles.
Powder blue some times.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:20:59 pm »
This is the first time I have seen that type of glass. Very nice point
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:55:14 pm »
Thanks fellas!  I only got a couple pounds of this stuff and most of it was pretty fractured up.  When you hold it up to the light it's sort of a translucent  grayish tan color with black specks.  I had heard of slag glass of course, but until straightarrow handed me some  I'd never seen it.  I'd like to get my hands on some of the colored stuff some day.  As you can imagine there's not much of an iron industry in Kansas where I'm from.  So it's a bit hard to come by.  Next time I deliver to a steel mill, I'll ask around about it.  Josh

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:02 am »
Purddy glass!!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:34:09 am »
Thanks fellas!  I only got a couple pounds of this stuff and most of it was pretty fractured up.  When you hold it up to the light it's sort of a translucent  grayish tan color with black specks.  I had heard of slag glass of course, but until straightarrow handed me some  I'd never seen it.  I'd like to get my hands on some of the colored stuff some day.  As you can imagine there's not much of an iron industry in Kansas where I'm from.  So it's a bit hard to come by.  Next time I deliver to a steel mill, I'll ask around about it.  Josh
Josh is this glass a produce of sand casing or Slag from the smelting
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »
Thick bottle bottom willl also work - jaegermeister for example  :D