Author Topic: H&R 410/45 Colt  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
H&R 410/45 Colt
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:21:26 am »
I went out yesterday to buy my wife a shotgun, she's not familiar with guns and not very strong so I figured she could handle a 410 for small game.  The place we went to was clearing out this gun at $230 which was almost half price.  I let her hold it to see if it was too heavy for her and she said she was okay with it so it came home with us, I thought the option of being able to use the 45 Colt in it was neat.  Anyone have any experience with it?

This is what it looks like, just a picture from the internet.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: H&R 410/45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:06:04 pm »
Cool gun Marc. I've been told all my life a .45 will fire out of a .410 bore. Never tired it myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:00:46 pm »
I wouldn't try it unless the barrel is rifled. We had one when I was growing up and I would shoot squirrels with shot. And deer with the 45 slug. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:02:40 pm »
Actually the barrel is rifled

What I heard when I was young was that a 44 40 would shoot out of a 410

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:09:24 pm »
The taurus judge revolver shoots both.. Note - 45 colt ammo ain't cheap unless you load then it ain't bad.. Neat little gun.. I got a topper158 30/30 and a 20g shotgun
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:02:24 pm »
Actually I have most everything to reload 45 amo including a bullet mold.  The only thing I need is a set of dies

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 04:16:35 pm »
Man Marc that thing will hold a tight pattern. The on we had sure did. My dad and I use to take it to Turkey shoots. We won't almost every one we entered. They have a little more thump to. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »
Actually I have most everything to reload 45 amo including a bullet mold.  The only thing I need is a set of dies

Dies arn't bad.. Lee are cheap but ok.. I use rcbs carbide but I'm a fan of the green machine.. Bullet mould.. Flat base or gas check.. I use the Lyman 252rnfp the right lube and lead hardness your styling
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:01 pm »
Well she hasn't tried it with the 45 yet but we picked some up today and they are expensive, $28 for 20 rounds.  Used to pay that for 50 rounds of 44 mag.

I have RCBS, Lyman and Lee dies and I haven't found any difference between any of them.  The other thing I am missing is some brass but I know where to get some of that.  The mould I have is a 200 grain flat base semi wad cutter, it should work just fine. 

I'm just wondering if this little gun will handle hot loads

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:06:17 pm »
Marc,
   As I understand it, the rifled barreled 410/45 comes with a screw in choke (for use with the shotgun rounds) and is necessary because the rifled barrel is "overbore" for the 410 cylinder bore. One other thing is that were you to hand-load all brass 410 cases (Magtech) that case is actually closer to the colt head dimensions than is the plastic cased shells. The reason I say that is that the plastic wad types will rotate down the rifling and even w/ the modified choke insert the patterns will tend to open up very quickly....where-as a brass cartridge case can be loaded w/o a press and use of copper shot combined with fiber wads and a glued overshot card should pattern very well.
   That particular firearm has a variation offered in .233 and .308 Nato so the action and breech area are more than sufficient for any load listed for the Colt. My last experience with the idea of pistol round firing carbines is the velocity is going to surprise you....here's an example.... A factory 158 grn .357 magnum (Remington) produced regular velocities between 1750 and 1850 fps. These were cronigraphed  from a 16" carbine rifle while I was testing body-armor as part of the patent process and testing for submission to the NIJ Certification process and the velocities were confirmed by H.P.White Laboratories. Your Colt round or home-made slug based upon the true bore size will generate velocities that will surprise you.
    Anyway, you have chosen a very well made, wide application gun.
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:35:07 pm »
I've got a snake slayer derringer, from bond arms, that shoots both just fine. It's gotta be 45 colt though, then any old 410 shell works. I love it. I would love to have it in long gun form, like what you got there. It's a deer gun and small game gun in one. Sweet gun if ya ask me.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »
I want. I wish it would accept 45acp.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 11:49:05 pm »

Sleek, if you reload, you can get .45 rimmed cases.
  They will fit the Colt, and S.W. revolvers chambered in .45 ACP, so you don't have to use the half, or full moon clips.

Wayne

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 12:00:47 am »
Im a big nut, but a gun nut I am not. I know a little about what I own and that's it. Id like it to be able to share a round with my Taurus millennium pro 45.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 01:04:57 am »
I'm just wondering if this little gun will handle hot loads

Yes it will,but you should know,for your wifes sake,that the hot loads out of that light of a gun,will have substantial recoil compared to a pump or semi auto.

In a smooth bore,there are adapters made,that allow you to shoot several calibers of shot shells as well as rifle and pistol loads.

These little shotguns are damn near indestructible and easy to smith on yourself. unfortunately,H&R was bought out and they are no longer producing these shotguns rifles or slug guns.Its a shame because they really are a great gun.