Author Topic: H&R 410/45 Colt  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: H&R 410/45 Colt
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 08:41:17 am »
The pattern was not great at 15 yards but good enough for small game.

I have a fair bit of reloading supplies for the 410 Rich, I've owned one on and off for most of my life.  The brass cases would be hard for me to get and I don't expect she will be using it that much to make it worthwhile getting some.  I have a 44 mag rifle and used to have a Super Blackhawk and I also have owned a chronograph for many years so I know how much gain you can get out of the extra barrel length.  She is happy with the gun and that is what matters.

I haven't had much to do with guns for many years but now I'm gonna have to pull out my books and do a bit of experimental reloading to see what this thing likes.  I don't plan on upping the 45 loads much because I'm sure she will complain over the recoil, she finds the 410 bucks a bit much  :laugh:

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:57 am »
Marc,
     I have not owned one of those, but believe they have a "compartment" behind the butt plate for survival items. If that is true you might be able to fit a recoil reducing system in there. I'm sure that recoil is not an issue for you but is very real to your wife so that might help some. Also a bullet in the 180 to 230 range will help some as well.
    One other thing as an idea would be to cast .45 bullets and paper-patch them. No leading and reduced recoil are some benefits. The only other idea for recoil reduction would be to use a "slower" burning powder, because you have more barrel to burn it in, and it will slow down the recoil impulse to more of a "push" than a "hit".
   Hope she gets used to it, because they are a fine gun with lots of applications.
rich

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »
They do have a compartment in the butt Rich and apparently another in the forestock.  I have a 200 grain bullet mould for my .45 acp, it should work well.  I sort of figured slower powder would be the way to go, I've done a lot of experimenting in my day

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 03:43:01 pm »
Greybeards outdoors forum has a h&r section.. Lots of info on different guns.. Quicktodo is the mod on that section seems to know his stuff.. Check it out sometime
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Traxx

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:41 pm »
I grew up shooting an old Iver Johnson 16 gauge.Killed more game with it than my friends did with their pumps.

I recently found the exact same gun,still in great shape and bought it for 80 bucks.I absolutely love the old break action shotguns.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:59 pm »
I grew up shooting an old Iver Johnson 16 gauge.Killed more game with it than my friends did with their pumps.

I recently found the exact same gun,still in great shape and bought it for 80 bucks.I absolutely love the old break action shotguns.

For me it was a single shot 410.  I killed a lot of ducks with that gun

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:48 pm »
I agree, Marc. My first gun was a single shot, bolt action 410. My Grandson is the owner now. I also have a pump and two 410/.22 o/u's. One with a Bakalite stock and the other I gave $25 for. It was missing a forestock and that cost me $65. Those are my squirrel guns.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?