Author Topic: what are my options?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: what are my options?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 10:22:55 am »
I am here to learn all I can from y'all and have tried both floor tiller to brace, and long string, and at the moment the only bows I have struggled with are the ones where I used a long-string, so I think my long string may be too long ( no really, how much longer than the bow should a long string be, since my low brace strings are about 1 inch longer than the bow and I twist the string up as I raise the brace height) Any how,  ;D regardless of where I went wrong in the first place , in the case of an over-long bow, would you pike it, recurve it, or something else? :) Having thought about it all day, I'm now thinking of doing both :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:05 am »
Hinges aren't caused my skipping the long string or using it one. They are caused by wood being too thin or too narrow, or both. Its really that simple. If you prefer to skip the long string, get better at floor tillering and you can with no issues. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:37 am »
Now personally i don't often use a long string and when i do it's tight, but desert disciple came over this last weekend and he is pretty new to building, so when i was helping him i used the tight long string to get him going and it probably was the way to go with a newbie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
fyi . . . I've been making my "long" string as short as possible while still resulting in 0" brace height.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 01:17:03 pm »
I make my long string as short as possible and get rid of it as soon as possible.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:55 pm »
I'm sooo skilled that I dont use a long string,, and when I brace the first time,, tiller is perfect and dead on target weight,, :) :) :)and I am legendary in my own mind :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:34:01 pm »
That's all that matters Brad! Nobody else has to live in there :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 03:31:43 pm »
so at 80" length, my long string is the wrong string and my short strings are long strings >:D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »
Y'all are funny. I am in the floor tiller to string crowd. Right or wrong that's me. I turn out a pretty good one ever now and then.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 05:21:35 pm »
I've built bows without the long string.

I've also built bows with stone tools. Iron makes building a little easier.

The long string is just another tool in the tool box.

I'm just having some fun, PD.

You are in good company. Tim Baker does not use the long string either unless he saw the light and just started. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »
Im always just having fun Jawgey pooh, right up until somebody says it cant be done. Then I'm forced to be serious for a minute ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 05:58:51 pm »
I once tillered out a bow just using its shadow and feel. LOL, PD.
I don't want to do that often.
A lot of things can be done. :)
Jawgey pooh

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 06:04:59 pm »
I still consider myself a beginner, but the more bows I build, the less I like using a long string, and the less I like floor tilling, and the more I like to just close my eyes and get handsy.  Ok haha but really.  Each person uses their own methods and we've seen throughout history too with different cultures.  Long strings and floor tillering will always be tools in my toolbox and I will certainly make use of them in the future, especially on tricky staves.  That's just what I've found works.  For me.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 12:35:38 am »
Pearl, you read something into my post that I didn't imply. The guy in question sounds like newbie, I don't think there are very many newbies with the skills to go from floor tiller to brace. I was giving the poster advice, the same advice I would give to any newbie.

Experienced bow makers have worked out a system that works for them and that might be floor tiller to brace. I don't recommend such but if it works for you go for it.

Offline GB

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 12:47:24 am »
I like to tiller mine the way Brad does.  Unfortunately, right before I finish I wake up and realize that I'm late for work. >:D
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.