Author Topic: Snaky bow thoughts...  (Read 18207 times)

Offline Aries

Re: Snaky bow thoughts...
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 04:58:08 pm »
I'm not quite understanding why you wouldn't view a snakey bow as the  equivalent to its straight version only on a shorter package,  all of the same wood is there and should be sharing the load of the bend equally in my mind.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 05:05:55 pm »
That's just it, we don't build them shorter to compensate for that extra few inches, like Will measured. If we want 64" ntn, that tape is stretched straight across on either bow.

I'd also agree with most, they shoot like all other similar bows to me as well. But, I would also say that I could shoot 10 osage flatbows from the same builder that are 45-52# and 63-67" and they'd all feel the same to me as well. So is that a good measuring tool? Probably not. We need a speed checking macheen and two very like bows in length and draw weight and shape, less front profile of course.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2015, 07:00:35 pm »
From what I have seen you cannot stress a snaky bow as much as a straight limb bow.  When you do there's the risk that the back will start to develop stress cracks along its length from what seems to be the need for the limb to straighten itself out
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 07:21:21 pm »
From what I have seen you cannot stress a snaky bow as much as a straight limb bow.  When you do there's the risk that the back will start to develop stress cracks along its length from what seems to be the need for the limb to straighten itself out
Wow some just has a way with words thanks Marc................
I just got through making a bow with a little snake....and had similar thoughts and backed it with rawhide it also had a spot or two that was iffy ...I just think they are a good (not great) shooting bows that looks great !  :)
Stress moves in a straight line and has a hard time going around corners. ;)
DBar
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:25:45 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking