Author Topic: "Heartbreaker"  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: "Heartbreaker"
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »
Yep I remember the bear target up the hill...I think I hit it mid section  :-[ ;)

I'm sure my bow is overbuilt, and rushed.. but it shoots sweet. and will have blood in the back of my truck by this time next week.. :D
I know you too well and would not bet you on that one....I've always thought you were a very good hunter and might fine woodsman......
My wife and I might make a boondoggle trip, U of K football game and target shoot at your place, trip this fall if your up to it, I'll give you a call.  I think that wood would make a mighty purty bow with some turkey feathers on the back......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:15:28 pm »
That sounds great!  I have a bunch of osage to cut too.. Landowner had a forester come in and girdle/treat dang near all the osage I had "scheduled" to harvest.. probably 500 trees up to 24" in diameter.. borers are hitting them... I don't know how long they'll be good dead standing..

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:49 pm »
Man.... you have the connections.  That sounds like more osage than I can imagine.  If I can help you harvest a log or two just let me know. We can check with Osage Outlaw (Clint) but I think standing osage will last a long time (years).....
Good luck hunting this year, keep us posted on your harvest.
If your not hunting on a KY football Saturday I'll see ya!
Till next time,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:30 pm »
That will work.. Yeah, the osage is abundant and quality.. I have a couple that i think are snakey too.. cool weather past time.. lol..

We can plan a saturday later in the month.. things are hectic right now...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 11:19:06 pm »
Great job saving that bow Joe.  The skins and turkey feathers look great.  I'm a big fan of those rattlers.  That osage will last a long time  standing dead.  Even if it falls over it will last for years.  You might have to remove some extra rings if the borers are eating it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 01:07:39 pm »
It definitely has some mojo!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 09:09:16 pm »
God job all the way around !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

owlbait

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »
Holey smokes, did you spear that deer with the end of your bow? That is awesome when you can call your success like that. Now, a single drop of crimson on those raised rings ;)

Offline Drewster

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 10:04:32 pm »
Looks like the "Heartbreaker" has already busted a heart.  Congrats on the bow AND deer.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »
The bow seems to shoot as good as it looks, kudos. I'd like to try building a coffee tree bow sometime. I heard it's similar to black locust, but would like to form my own opinion. Sounds like I need to make a trip to KY to hunt some osage. The few I've found up here rarely have a decent stave to offer. 

That is a serious hole you put in that girl, and in the perfect spot as well. Do you happen to have a pick of the broad head that did that massive damage? Or at least the brand name if it was store bought.

Oh and you weren't kidding about that buck being a monster. I bet you think about retaking that shot everyday. If it was me that missed that big ol' boy that bow would be name "into the mouth of madness", my buck fever would have been permanent and incurable. It's pretty cool that you found a shed off him though.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 10:56:22 pm »
Congratulations! Nice bow and good harvest.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »
The bow seems to shoot as good as it looks, kudos. I'd like to try building a coffee tree bow sometime. I heard it's similar to black locust, but would like to form my own opinion. Sounds like I need to make a trip to KY to hunt some osage. The few I've found up here rarely have a decent stave to offer. 

That is a serious hole you put in that girl, and in the perfect spot as well. Do you happen to have a pick of the broad head that did that massive damage? Or at least the brand name if it was store bought.

Oh and you weren't kidding about that buck being a monster. I bet you think about retaking that shot everyday. If it was me that missed that big ol' boy that bow would be name "into the mouth of madness", my buck fever would have been permanent and incurable. It's pretty cool that you found a shed off him though.

Just from a break test, the wood I used was stronger in compression than tension, it works most similarly to ash IMO, but it does have a somewhat "spongy" early growth ring like osage and locust.

The broadhead is a Cabela's 125 grain CPL 3. I still shoot some carbon arrows, at least until I run out of them.. I'll grow up someday and use real wood or  cane arrows all the time..