Author Topic: New mocs (FINISHED)  (Read 17573 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: New mocs
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2015, 10:12:38 pm »
Just went back to page 3 and the pics are now showing up for me, cool.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2015, 11:13:14 pm »
Thanks Josh, I'll definitely be looking for the knee high moc build along. I'll have me a pair of those one of these days! Thanks again for taking the time to do this build. I know how much time it takes to do one.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2015, 10:02:10 am »
You make it look so easy Josh, looking good so far. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2015, 12:42:48 am »
Thanks fellas!  Obviously I didn't get back on this project as soon as I had hoped.  My anniversary is this weekend so I won't be working on them this weekend either.  I will get back on it soon though.  Thanks for following along!  Josh

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2015, 03:31:11 am »
You better get on them, the weather is getting cold and hate to see you running around without shoes. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2015, 08:43:12 am »
Happy anniversary to you and yours Josh! Hope you two have a great weekend. Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2015, 02:24:24 pm »
Happy anniversary Josh and Mrs. Gun Doc.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2015, 08:36:56 pm »
Thanks fellas!  We will certainly try to celebrate in style!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2015, 12:51:25 am »
I finally got a little time to work on this project.  I got the extensions sewn on where I screwed up.  I suspected that the extra stiffness from the repair was going to cause problems and it did.  Not only is the extra stitching an eye sore, but it made it very difficult to form the moccasin to the back of the heel.  I eventually got it to fit comfortably but it looks terrible.  The next step is the tongue and laces.  I first stitched the sole the rest of the way back to the tab.  I then made a welt and stitched up the back of the moccasin.  This is where the difficulties began.  Normally, the leather is easy to shape into the heel cup with the stitches that attach the tab to the upper portion.  That was not the case with this one.  It fought me for an hour and still didn't shape up. When I get some more leather I'll make a proper pair.  Thanks for following along so far.  I'll show how I lace these and make the tongues when i get more time.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2015, 06:21:35 pm »
The next step is the tongues.  The tongues I'm making are a lot longer than is actually needed.  All you really need is for the tongue to be long enough to keep the lace in the front from cutting into your ankle.  Feel free to exercise your artistic license for this part.  First I cut out the tongue to the shape I want and then I put a temporary stitch at each corner to hold it in place while I prick all the stitch holes.  The tongue will overlap about 3/8" to 1/2".  Just enough to make sure you have plenty of leather to stitch.  I then prick all my stitch holes.  Once that's done, I remove the temporary stitch at the corner where I intend to start the stitch.  It's a good idea to cut out both tongues before you sew one on so you can make them match fairly close.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
Now I'm going to try and explain the lock stitch i use for this.  First I pull off a very long length of artificial sinew.  Artificial sinew is cheap so don't get stingy.  It's far better to waste some than to come up short half through a series of stitches.  I use two glovers needles for this type of stitch.  I thread both needles onto this thread and tie it off so I have a loop with two needles.  The knot is the positioned so that when I pull the loop tight with a needle at each end, one needle is twice as far from the knot as the other needle or in other words the knot is one third the length of the loop from one of the needles.  Be sure to double knot the artificial sinew as it's slick and doesn't hold a knot well.  Now remove one of your temporary stitches and starting at that hole and from the inside, push the needle with the longest part of the thread through until the knot stops it from going further.  Now run the needle into the next hole and pull the thread back in until it pulls tight.  The short piece of thread doesn't ever get poked through the seam.  The long thread loops around the short thread and the needle is pushed back through the same hole that it you just pushed it into.  When pulled tight, the stitch will be nice and secure. Then move to the next hole, push the needle through to the inside, loop around the short string inside, and back out the same hole.  Pull both threads tight and repeat.  Terrible explanation I know, but it's the best I can do.  Once you get to last hole, run the needle in to the inside and tie it off to the inside thread.  Be sure to double knot.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2015, 06:52:43 pm »
Some moc pics of stitching the tongue on.  Tip, if you want cleaner looking stitches, twist your thread up until it is round and tight like heavy thread. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2015, 07:01:35 pm »
Now that we have th tongue stitched on, its time for the laces.  This is pretty quick and easy. Basically I punch two pair of holes on each side.  Each pair of holes is about 3/4" apart from each other about a 3/4" down from the top edge.  Pics explain it better than words.  Run your laces through as the pic shows and if you did a long decorative tongue as I have fold it over and figure out where to punch two holes in it.  If you went with a short tongue, you don't punch holes in it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:04:36 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2015, 07:18:13 pm »
With the lacing done, all that is left is the insoles.  I don't have any rawhide with me so that will have to wait until I get home.  Since I thoroughly messed up the right moccasin I went with simple fringed tongues as opposed to beadwork.  They fit great and I put a couple miles on them at cahokia mounds this afternoon and my feet feel great, but it still irritates me to no end that I messed up.  The deer probably won't mind, but I sure do!  Anyway....that pretty much concludes the build along.  Remember....the old adage of measure twice, cut once doesn't just apply to carpentry.  Thanks for following along!  Josh
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:45:40 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline DC

Re: New mocs (FINISHED)
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
They look great from here, nice job!