Author Topic: willow?  (Read 7399 times)

Offline PatM

Re: willow?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 01:48:54 pm »
 Does this mean that MR arrows were lighter than the dimensions suggest?

Offline WillS

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 04:36:13 pm »
No, the  EWBS spec was created by Mark Stretton after examining them.  He was able to use real aspen, and this is what the weight was based on. 

However now that nobody can get hold of it, everybody is using tulip and as a result the arrows are being tapered too soon (right at the head down to the nock) in order to minimise weight. 

The actual bobtail taper of the MR arrows is more torpedo shaped, with the taper starting almost halfway down the shaft.  You can't do that with tulip, but you can with aspen.

Offline PatM

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 05:39:56 pm »
Or what will happen? Seems the longer taper would minimise weight even more.

Offline WillS

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 06:08:57 pm »
Yeah - tulip is heavier.  If you keep it thicker it will go over the recommended weight.  Aspen can be made to match the MR profiles exactly, without going over weight. 

Some of the aspen shafts I got were 40g at full half inch parallel.  The only reason to taper them at all was to make the nock end comfortable on the fingers.

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 08:35:03 pm »
Still wondering why the tulip[ shafts aren't just tapered longer to reduce the mass... somewhat irrelevant given its non-authentic status though.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:53 pm »
Im going to side track this a bit. What does everyone think of weeping willow for a bow wood. I dont kniw what else it my be called but i was just wondering on that

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 10:09:25 pm »
Probably horrible in compression and mediocre in tension. Make it very wide and long.

Search turned up that it was a species of willow native to China.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 09:26:25 am »
wow the replies! lots of great advice and discussion. thanks . WILLS awesome bow! im going to try it eventually. im going back today to get that buggy tree. its light enough to carry on my shoulder and im gonna look it over as for arrow shafts.and maybe a hollowed out quiver with bark on it.Tony

Offline WillS

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »
Not my bow, its a friend's.  He makes bows of this weight out of stuff you'd never think possible.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 10:51:29 pm »
Man! Pat and Will hijacked this thread.
This might be better on the war Bow thread.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?