Author Topic: tea?  (Read 7573 times)

riverrat

tea?
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:49:06 am »
if you like a "spot of tea" { im mimmicking a english accent here} lol, youll like this i think. right now i go to my yard i find yellow wood sorrels. a bunch of them boiled in a pot of water makes a tasty tea . i like a little sugar in mine. sometimes i throw in a few leaves of fresh basil. another tea i like is staghorn sumac tea. you cut some berry cones. i stick about 7 cones in a pitcher of hot water. let set a few hours.i then stir and try to bruise the berries that make up the cone. then strain through a fine screen into a second pitcher. ad sugar or honey to taste. you can drink it hot or cold . its very good. another one i like is pine needles mixed with wild mint. of course sugar or honey to taste. and recently, i found that golden rod is blooming everywhere right now. just tried it for the first time. very good.anyone else have any "tea" recipes??? Tony

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: tea?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:16:46 am »
I say old chap...Spiffing wheeze  {mimmicking English accent and language from the 1920's}  ;)
We have a lot of peppermint in our garden, it makes a very good tea if you have an unsettled stomach.
Sage (plus honey) is good for a sore throat. Not tried much else for fear of killin' myself  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:03:24 am »
I like tea. I'll have to try some wild stuff. Mostly stick to Earl Grey.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:00:13 pm »
Chaga, with or without honey. Excellent tea. Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »
Spicebush(Lindera benzoin) also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 08:57:13 am »
I like pine needle tea.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 11:15:42 am »
Got a stubborn head cold that started off with a sore throat so I've been making a sage tea every day.  I actually hate tea (but like the smell of it, oddly enough) so I've been adding a spoon full of local raw honey to it to make it palatable.  Does a great job to soothe a raw throat. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 12:42:16 pm »
I like pine needle tea.

Grady
Don't confuse it with Yew needle tea, which the Romans used as a suicide drink :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »
Yeah, Taxol is bad news unless you are using it as a chemotherapy drug.  :-\

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 09:09:30 pm »
I like tea. I'll have to try some wild stuff. Mostly stick to Earl Grey.

Do you have horse mint, a.k.a. wild bergamot mint in your area?  3-4 leaves from this plant in a cuppa strong black tea is a fantastic version of Earl Grey.

I also find wild spearmint around here, catnip mint, raspberry leaves, and wild licorice root.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:52:51 am »
raspberry leave tea as well as wild strawberry leaf tea are good too. just tried gill over the ground. its o.k. but its not somethin id drink as a norm.Tony

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 12:52:40 am »
Chicory root makes an excellent coffee substitute, as they taste very similar. The dried root is ground and brewed the same way you'd make a cup of joe. It can also be steeped like tea for a stronger taste. It can also be mixed with coffee to make a less caffeinated version or to simply stretch your coffee supply a little. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 07:10:48 am »
Sassafrass root is a favorite.  Staghorn sumac too - boil the bright red seed heads - citrus-like almost lemony flavored tea, supposed to be a source of zinc and vitamin C, which are both used to head off a cold. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline unkieford

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »
My wife used to lament not being able to find lemon verbena tea locally. I planted some. It's great, and we have WAY more than we need. I prefer mint, but it gives me pretty crazy dreams. ;)
---Ford---

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »
Another favorite is Rose hip tea  ;D, made from rose hips off from multi flora roses :( Bob