Author Topic: TBB I Meare Heathe WHY?  (Read 5419 times)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: TBB I Meare Heathe WHY?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 06:29:25 am »
It is a good design/reliable and feel pretty sure they weren't worried about a few fps or chasing speed like some here do. Longevity I'm pretty sure was top priority. Just guessing here but if I was building them with a flint chip I know it would be mine.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:11:17 am »
Put your self in there shoes and youll understand why...back then durability n longevity were top priority as pappy said due to how they lived....and a well made one isnt gonna be much difference in fps...if i was them id trade a couple fps for longevity any day of the week. There lives depended a lot on them,and in this day and age they dont.

Offline punch

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 10:28:18 am »
I meant why would someone today make one other than the looks.  Seems like it would be durable but so is my pyramid bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 10:35:28 am »
Well then..if it doesnt fit your fancy then dont make one..no one hear is forcing you too. Diferent strokes for different folks as the ole saying goes. Some like it,and or like to do replica bows to feel how it wouldve felt for our ancient ancestors who did use them.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 11:35:20 am »
Just to stir the pot a little bit, In "Archery: The Technical Side," it was proven through experimentation that light, narrow tips are not really any faster than heavy, thick tips. Keeping them around 1/2" wide or so is ideal for most bows, and narrowing them to pencil thin or smaller really doesn't do anything for the speed of the bow per Klopsteg and Hickman.   
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline punch

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 12:26:01 pm »
Well then..if it doesnt fit your fancy then dont make one..no one hear is forcing you too. Diferent strokes for different folks as the ole saying goes. Some like it,and or like to do replica bows to feel how it wouldve felt for our ancient ancestors who did use them.

No you are taking it wrong.  I want to build one but I am trying to figure out what the benefit of the design is.  I can see the benefits of other designs and what their trade off are but the Meare Heathe is puzzling for me.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 12:47:58 pm »
Wide limbs distribute stress better.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 01:31:03 pm »
i think if you were to push the limits,, the wide limb,, would hold a longer draw without breaking,, especially if the wide tips were bending slightly,,only one way to find out :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »

No you are taking it wrong.  I want to build one but I am trying to figure out what the benefit of the design is.  I can see the benefits of other designs and what their trade off are but the Meare Heathe is puzzling for me.

If a design is puzzling me, the curiosity alone is all the justification I require to try and build one.  One can read the works of others and just assume that it's gospel, but I prefer to find out for myself.  In my opinion, knowledge gleaned through ones own trial and error is nearly always better than trying to interpret the meaning of what others have written about there own findings or more often the case the interpretation of an interpretation of someone else's findings and experience.  All that to say, if it interests you go ahead and build it.  Josh

Offline punch

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 05:06:27 pm »

If a design is puzzling me, the curiosity alone is all the justification I require to try and build one.  One can read the works of others and just assume that it's gospel, but I prefer to find out for myself.  In my opinion, knowledge gleaned through ones own trial and error is nearly always better than trying to interpret the meaning of what others have written about there own findings or more often the case the interpretation of an interpretation of someone else's findings and experience.  All that to say, if it interests you go ahead and build it.  Josh

I tend to over think these things mostly because there are so many different designs I want to try and I am an engineer and I have a limited amount of time each week to work on them.  I always look at the photos of Comstock's Meare Heathe bow but never get around to making one.  I need to find a board and build one.  And then I have all these staves you sent me keeping me busy.  My brother keeps asking if I think I can get two bows out of that snakey piece. Thanks Josh! =P.  Seriously I really appreciate it. 

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 12:59:25 pm »
i honestly think they spent more time worrying about putting meat on the table and sticking an arrow into their enemy than f.p.s. and which design did what...

they wanted something that didn't break and tossed the smaller pointy stick at what they wanted to kill...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2015, 01:08:27 pm »
I have a feeling the bows that shot the hardest were preferred,, they were probably pretty picky about their personal weapon if there life depended on it,,  if shooting all year round,, I have a feeling they could tell which bows were best without a chrono,,, depending on availability of course,, the guys that shot the best and brought home the most meat,,,probably preferred the best bow they could get,,, in a pinch ,, hunting skill would have to make up for lack of cast,, I have a feeling the archers were more sophisticated than some would imagine,, just my thought  :) I am sure they shot bows for distance,, and a certain amount of pride or prestige would come from a hard shooting bow,, I dont think our mind set has changed much since then about that,,,,, :) :) :)

Offline willie

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2015, 02:08:57 pm »
Engineer and all others
pm me your email and I will send along a spreadsheet that I use. you can find out quite a bit about any design you "build"

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »
The modified versions of the Meare Heathe make serviceable bows today. However there is one school of thought which suggests the original was meant to be a gift/trophy bow and not a shootable weapon. There is no doubt that it was overbuilt, yet it broke. Also obvious is the ring violations on the back of the bow? Was this deliberate; and if so, is this the reason for the bindings around the limbs? Who knows.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.