Author Topic: What to do with some wood I have  (Read 2493 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
What to do with some wood I have
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:49:17 pm »
So far I have only made board bows. I want to make a R/D next but dont want to do a tri lam. I have 3 boards, one Osage, one Golden Heart, and one HIckory. Each measures 1-1/2" x 1/2" plus some bamboo backing all 72 inches long. The main reason I do not want to make a tri lam is that I dont have the skill or tools needed to make the riser to put between the belly and power lam. Can I glue two of the pieces of wood together and stick a riser on the outside like a basic board bow? I imagine i could cut the fades a little bit into the belly wood to keep the riser from flying off. How would I tiller this or is it just not a good layout period. They are all to thin to make a board bow on their own that would have much weight to it at all. On a side not I am going in search of a nice tree to cut down today, pretty excited about that.

May have answered my own question. I found this and it looks like he is doing what I am talking abut.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263821
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:01:05 pm by ccase39 »
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What to do with some wood I have
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:23:33 pm »
 I personally would use a 1/8" hickory for the backing. Its a lot simpler than boo and makes a great backing. Leave the belly full thickness. Mark out the handle an fades and start reducing the belly with a rasp(bandsaw will work if you have one) until both limbs bend evenly and together at floor tiller. You can add the backing now. If you are adding reflex add it now while gluing up the components. This will give you a nice even reflex bend after the glue sets.
 You can add thickness to the handle area at any point if you need too. By leaving the belly at the handle full thickness you shouldn't need a power lam. Basically all it does is keeps the handle from bending.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 02:11:37 pm »
I was thinking boo for backing because its already 1/8. That being said my wife just texted me and told me my belt sander was delivered today. Bringing down that Hickory seems like a good way to break it in. What do you think of yellow heart as a belly wood?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »
I have heard yellowheart makes a good belly wood, but have never used it, maybe someone who has will chime in.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 07:27:54 pm »
I've never use yellow heart either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 07:30:16 pm »
my 2015 trade bow that I received from Mikekeswick has yellowheart as the belly wood.  It works great on that bow--about 44# though, so pretty light weight.  It is sure pretty.  It is a tri-lam longbow and fairly narrow--around 1 1/2 inches wide at the fades, tapering to 1/2" at the tips.  The back is maple and the center is purple heart.  There are a couple of other exotics in the handle.