Author Topic: Yew break-help figuring out why.  (Read 10341 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Yew break-help figuring out why.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 06:45:37 am »
Unless it is a truly pipe straight clean log I hesitate to saw any wood into staves.You waste a few staves from time to time but you also learn a lot about the tree/wood  you are working when you split it.:)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 10:03:20 am »
The first few staves I dragged home were so twisted that it made me a little gun shy and from then on I've always wanted to see what the grain is doing. On some woods, like yew, you can't tell whats going on inside. Most of the time you would be OK to saw but be prepared to be bitten. I've found that steaming the twist out is not a big deal. Although I'm not sure if it will last, I've only been at this for a couple of years.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 12:42:23 pm »
STEVE.i understand about what you are saying..BUT,this might fall in the category of which pappy is talking about..where the yew i look for is stove pipe straight and consider a sapling or sucker tree...and yes people have hand split for years BUT I all so see that there is more than one way to skin a cat..SO,about the twist..wouldnt a person see the twist in the bark BEFORE they cut the tree..you see. i am not trying to raise the badger hairs up I am just saying the we see and do things differently...years ago pappy wrote an artical about him and a friend and they both made bows together but use different tools and different approach about making bows...and for me this is what i see...the other thing is that keenan has alot of different ideas about the way yew should be handled and he wont share them because of this reason... i have to run and get some juniper..this has been a great talk with you steve..i hoping to learn more..john

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 01:40:37 pm »
  BUMBER BUT

WOOD IS WOOD.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 01:54:08 pm »
STEVE.i understand about what you are saying..BUT,this might fall in the category of which pappy is talking about..where the yew i look for is stove pipe straight and consider a sapling or sucker tree...and yes people have hand split for years BUT I all so see that there is more than one way to skin a cat..SO,about the twist..wouldnt a person see the twist in the bark BEFORE they cut the tree..you see. i am not trying to raise the badger hairs up I am just saying the we see and do things differently...years ago pappy wrote an artical about him and a friend and they both made bows together but use different tools and different approach about making bows...and for me this is what i see...the other thing is that keenan has alot of different ideas about the way yew should be handled and he wont share them because of this reason... i have to run and get some juniper..this has been a great talk with you steve..i hoping to learn more..john

Blacktail, In most cases I saw yew myself, I just realize when I do that I might be compromising my bow. Quite a few woods that I will saw, hickory and elm are two more. Most of the time there is no issue but I do realize that it is possibly could become an issue. With a big twist as in the bow above the sawing was very risky and I believe it caused the failure.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 02:00:25 pm »
I wouldn't saw or split a candy cane yew pole, I wouldn't cut it in the first place.
I don't believe twist in yew trees is hard to see, I see them all the time

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »
Look at grain structure within the break. It has rot. See picture 7th down. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 03:14:37 pm »
What? Made many bows from sawn staves. That is not the issue.

If the stave is split the lateral grain is automatically followed.

You better follow it or the bow will break.

If you use a sawn stave, you have to look at the lateral grain. It can be seen even if you have to put on your glasses. Draw your pencil line down the middle and go from there.
Here. Like this.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/layout.html

Of course if the grain runs off the edge that is another problem perhaps deserving a rawhide backing.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
  I think when we were talking about sawn we got off, bandsaw sawn following the grain is fine. Tablesaw sawn or bandsaw using the fence for straight cuts is where we sometimes have problems.

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:47 pm »
 Nothing wrong with sawing straight wood, the problem is sawing wood straight that isn't.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 05:00:54 pm »
I've never cut yew or osage but I can understand wanting to conserve yew wood by sawing.
Following the lateral grain is imperative and whether the stave is sawn or split does not matter.
It must be done.
If the grain runs out the sides on a sawn stave,  then back it and hope for the best.
LOL, not sure how much longer we can rehash this simple truth. Follow the lateral grain.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 05:19:17 pm »
 Except in Elm. It often alternates slight twist every year and you can have a trunk with perfectly straight bark with the top growth ring running diagonally across the back.  It can take it.
 HHB also takes a good deal of straightlining.

Offline Badger

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »
     I cut elm straight most of the time even when it runs off, I never have a problem with it, same with hickory if it runs off gently.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 09:56:46 pm »
I am with Jawge on this one.

Offline PatM

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 10:03:50 pm »
That's board bow thinking. ;)