Author Topic: Snakey Stave(tiller check please)  (Read 3836 times)

Offline DC

Snakey Stave(tiller check please)
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »
I'm working on a spliced bow. It's made of almost sister billets. About half of each billet is twisted so no matter how I glued them together I ended up with some twist. I ended up with the handle and the tips being straight and the middle bit being twisted. Anyway when I got it on the tree and started pulling I noticed that the tips were going somewhat sideways. One limb moves away from me and one moves toward me. In the poorly drawn picture if you imagine pulling straight down the twisted bit bends sideways. Since the two limbs have almost the same twist I can imagine that the handle is going to rotate some. Will this affect the shooting much? 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:42:27 pm by DC »

Offline DC

Re: Snakey Stave
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:50:05 pm »
Here's the stick

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 02:04:43 pm »
No advise for ya but that is gonna be one awesome looking bow!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:12:52 pm »
You are a glutton for punishment.  ;) That is a cool looking stave. Not much advise for you but god luck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:21:13 pm »
Holy cow - that's astave I like!

Have you worked it down? It looks not ready for bending in the pic?
At snakey staves I always make changing cross profiles. Imagine a line from tip to tip, It should lay in the middle of pivot point on handle (otherwise first string alignment correction needed). Now when a snakey curve swings out of this line (looking straight on the front profile), I make the inner curve slightla thicker than the outer curve. This prevents twisting.

Good luck on that exceptional stick!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »
I lined it up when I spliced it so string alignment is OK. I had it on the long string but only pulled it about 4" when I noticed the limb was going a bit sideways. Thought I'd better check. I don't have a lot of wood to work with so it may not work well. I have a six more billets from this tree and these two were the smallest so I thought I would screw up on the ones most likely to screw up. Save the better for later.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »
looks like a fun stave! I usually don't worry about twist until I start drawing a braced bow, but you may need to do as Simson suggested, and leave the inner part of a snake a little thicker than the outer

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »
My gizmo won't be a lot of use on this one ;D ;D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 05:34:20 pm »
Trust in your thickness taper, and go by feel. I'm working on a couple snaky yew branch bows too

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 06:12:25 pm »
I asked this once before but I came up with a better way of showing this problem. The paint stripes are straight across. The second pic shows the big dip in the back. This is going to put a lot of stress on the edges of the back. The sapwood is fairly thick here and I thought I might shave the top off the edges to give a wider back(or two backs). Being yew I have a little leeway with the back (although Patrick and Bob might disagree). Any other suggestions?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 06:28:27 pm »
 SWEETTTTTTTT a bow like that it's just you a rasp and the wood.

I'm working on a osage stave is really snakey but a lot cleaner.

Like someone said your on your own on this on.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 10:42:45 pm »
Don knock those edges down and flatten the back as much as you can. If you have thick sapwood then your in luck.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 05:21:33 pm »
wow... that is some serious twists...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

riverrat

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:54:59 pm »
intrigued! like to see that finished. Tony

Offline DC

Re: Snakey Stave (tiller check please)
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »
Here it is at 45#@24 or there abouts. It's hard to read the scale and watch the camera timer. It looks to me like the right hand limb could bend a bit more just out of the fades but that's where that dip is in the back(as opposed to the dip standing in front). There is also a hole right there(bonus) so I'm a little chickenship about that spot. I may get braver later. With that in mind what do you think?