Author Topic: Does anyone sell a few bows and worry about liability insurance?  (Read 14675 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Does anyone sell a few bows and worry about liability insurance?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 09:23:00 am »
I do. But I'm VERY particular about who I sell to. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 09:28:19 am »
Del the Cat, you are funny.  Pour me a cup of that tea while you're at it!
Look man, if liability insurance is what you have on your mind, you need to back track and evaluate why you are making bows.  Don't ruin it with such nonsense.  The whole thought of it makes me want to run into the woods and hide.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 09:38:31 am »
I've sold a few bows over the years but would rather trade or just give a bow to someone that wants or need one.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 10:12:07 am »
Sadly I see post on FB from people who have had bow failures and the post goes something like this, "I have a bow built by XXXXXX. It is 58# @ 28 inches. It broke while shooting last night. I only have a 31 inch draw, do you think they will replace the bow?"
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 10:48:46 am »
Sell to people who truly appreciate your work and understand it, not just any jackhole with a $150 to spend on a bent board. You wont have any problems.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:53:40 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »
I have had people offer to buy bows but have always declined to sell to anyone due to concerns over liability.
I make them as a hobby, not as a business is what I always tell them...

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 12:19:24 pm »
Thanks all for your thoughts. I live in Canada and suing people up here is not that common.
I struggle to think that unless you make a 70 inch bow with a 32 inch draw there is always a chance that some knucklehead will overdraw.
I'll do some legal research and post again at some point.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »
I've asked bow shops if they'd be willing to carry some of my bows. "If you have liability insurance. Everyone knows that those bows break." Ummm, nevermind. I would consider it, if it were an actual income source.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 01:34:33 pm »
it is a tough game. Sadly it is because people get involved with it that shouldn't.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »
does anyone know of a bowyer that has been sued ?????

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 02:30:37 pm »
   Years ago I gave a guy at my coffee shop a bow. He said I should give him my address just in case it hurts him and he has to sue me. I said let me look that bow over to make sure it is safe. I took it and without even inspecting it I broke it over my knee. I turned him and said sorry it just wasn't safe!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 02:49:18 pm »
i like that story alot,,thanks for sharing,,  :)

Offline warpath

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »
I make and sell bows for a living and liability insurance really is a must!!!! I have "care for Your Bow" sheets that come with every bow as per the insurance company and ask a ton of question of each buyer regarding draw length to fit them with the bow that suits their needs best. All of this is done per insurance company including a paper signed buy the buyer stating that they understand the use and care of a handmade non-fiberglass bow. This way if there is a problem, the insurance company takes over any lawsuits that may arise. Never had an injury to any of my customer due to a bow failing and all have been satisfied with a replacement bow.
  In short, if you're doing it as a business, GET INSURANCE!!!! If you're just unloading bows to be rid of them, trade or give them away. Once money is exchanged, you could be responsible for accidents without the proper paperwork. Even with stupid people that think the bow is indestructable!!!
   Hope this helps. :)

G-Monee   >:D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 06:38:32 pm »
I do. But I'm VERY particular about who I sell to.

This is what I do also. If you have to school them a lot don't sell one.  Here are my questions. What is your draw length, string your bow for me, have you had one before , what are your needs - expectations. If they know this info then maybe. I guarantee my bows for a year and I don't won't a knee in one or someone over drawing my bows.this is a hobby that supports its self hopefully nothing more. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 11:24:33 pm »
If it is a business of any size you can simply start a llc bank account to start and if anything happens you will need a lawyer to halt damages at that. Good point though.