Author Topic: ABO techniques, processes and tools.  (Read 94634 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: ABO techniques, processes and tools.
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2015, 06:58:58 pm »
Ok, ok
I know it's difficult for you all to look at all the unused copper.
I feel for you. It's like a reformed alcoholic seeing his favorite
brand and knowing he can't touch it. It's kinda like an x.
Scrap prices are down.so it is better that you send it all off to
 me, so it will never tempt you again.
Thanks Zuma
Oh yeah, you can send any material to tough for you too.
Hehe now I can handle a little comedy....but really I have Knapped abo so long I really don't remember copper.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2015, 07:43:04 pm »
While I use copper mostly I do like working with antler for my initial reduction. My Ishi stick and my pressure flaker for that matter is always blunt at the tip mainly do to the lack of patience to stop and resharpen it but after awhile I now prefer the blunt edge. I personally would of loved to of been able to see Carey Webers technique for notching andice points using antler/bone tools.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2015, 08:45:14 pm »
If you are referring to my comments doc--
I see nothing snippy in them or lashing. It's pure humor.
I knap with many of the posters and they know
I envy their skills. All in fun.
I'm just an ole dog that hasn't even mastered copper.
Don't let my comments change your mind about a great thread
and going ABO.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2015, 09:13:19 pm »
Good information and good bantering on this subject. I wish I had a tenth of the knowledge and skills that you guys have. I worked with copper for a while in hopes of narrowing the learning curve. I think it only lengthened the learning process because I now see that even though they are similar they are really different. One technique I do not ever see me doing, is the sawed and slab points. It does make beautiful points but I am wanting to use the most basic techniques due to a deep interest in prehistoric people and how they survived. Of course making cordage, fire, pottery and other primitive processes are of great interest also.

I also understand the term ABO knapping is a term currently used to refer to natural tools such as antler, stone and wood. Copper is also natural but not included. So, if you work out a technique that uses only natural tools to make useable stone tools then it would be referred to as being made ABO style.

What ever you use or process you choose I hope that you have fun, share, enjoy and achive the goal you are after. Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bowmo

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2015, 09:31:29 pm »
Well I worked an 9 hour day bent over ripping up tile and sub floor so what else to do when you get home but knap.  ::) This is actually some super lazy work, but it still shows my basic method. I didn't feel like looking around for a biface so I just grabbed a flake. The punch is what I use for wide notches and edge work, I have a narrower one for skinny notching. The main thing this is missing (due to the thinness of the flake) is how every couple punches I switch from a downward blow to a slightly more inward one so that it thins it out more and keeps the notch from wanting to stall. I was going to dog leg them but then I realized 5 mins had somehow already warped by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQdXV_HylBQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline turbo

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:58 pm »
Nice 'bowmo', again, nice to see abo videos, keep 'em coming. I need to get some notching punches made.

I mentioned earlier that I was using a buffalo horn as an indirect punch. I've been using it a few months thanks to Marty and learn something new every time I sit down w/ it. Here are a few pics showing flake potential. It's my first real attempt using indirect and minus some mistakes along the way, I'm really liking it. It has bailed me out more than once.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »
NC keep in mind on that saw and slab that I often pull tablature stone from the quarry that looks like it is a sawn slab. Some times the stone freezes and break it into sheets. Those slab techniques work very well with that type of facture. I will run out to the garage a photo one for you if I still have it.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:16 pm »
Here is a one minute video on the basics of ulna bone. I will go into detail in future videos. Bowmo I will watch your video at work in the morning on the big screen.
https://youtu.be/36RFMnbl5dc
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:21:08 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:37 pm »
Nice 'bowmo', again, nice to see abo videos, keep 'em coming. I need to get some notching punches made.

I mentioned earlier that I was using a buffalo horn as an indirect punch. I've been using it a few months thanks to Marty and learn something new every time I sit down w/ it. Here are a few pics showing flake potential. It's my first real attempt using indirect and minus some mistakes along the way, I'm really liking it. It has bailed me out more than once.
Ok explain in more detail

Offline turbo

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:20 pm »

Ok explain in more detail

The horn is held in between the legs and struck w/ a billet to detach flakes. Here's a video by Marty showing it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7378PK1WV8

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2015, 10:59:55 pm »
Iowabow, I really do not mind anyone knapping slabs. I suppose if I had some made naturaly I would be more incline to try it. I have also seen silitified shale that is close to slabs and would love to work some of it. I have watched a guy using small punches do amazing work on that shale. Would like to see a pic of the natural slabs you mentioned...Thanks

Turbo, cool video on using the buffalo horn. May have to try it also.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Josh B

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2015, 11:04:12 pm »
If you are referring to my comments doc--
I see nothing snippy in them or lashing. It's pure humor.
I knap with many of the posters and they know
I envy their skills. All in fun.
I'm just an ole dog that hasn't even mastered copper.
Don't let my comments change your mind about a great thread
and going ABO.
Zuma

In that case, my apologies Sir.  Perhaps I am a bit over sensitive on the matter and read more into your post than was intended.  Josh

Offline Zuma

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2015, 06:57:53 am »
Not a problem Josh,
It is interesting though. I remember when it was Abo only at
Oregon Ridge. (Baltimore MD). It didn't work out to well.
But interestingly enough copper was eventually allowed.
More interesting is that since then more knappers have
gravitated to what are thought to be abo techniques.
(big time)
It's all good. water seeking it's own level and all.
The best thing about knapping is the great folks that are
willing to share their rock, tools, methods, material, food
and support.
Joining a tribe is good medicine. :)
Zuma

LOL Iowa, I saw where you snuck in ( even an X)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:03:45 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2015, 07:41:32 am »
Hey I never deleted that x wonder what happened there lol

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:26 am »
I heard Marty say "water" buffalo horn, how does it compare to using native bison horn and will it work to use a pronghorn antelope.