Author Topic: Hickory Flatbow  (Read 1653 times)

Offline James Rodney

Hickory Flatbow
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:52:26 pm »
Guys, i need some input.  i have a 65 inch hickory board that I've been working on.  (hickory is hard!)  i'm debating on taking the last 15 inches and narrowing it down to about 3/8's on the ends.  I floor tillered, and it's reaaaallly stiff still.  it's down to about a half inch.  should i just leave it as it is? and keep tillering?  or should i narrow it?

Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Hickory Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 09:14:50 am »
I don't narrow the tips till the end.  It's supposed to be stiff floor tillering, unless you want a really low draw weight bow.  Switch to a long string
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:13 am »
Marc is right, put it on a long string and then quickly switch to low brace, too much long string tillering leads to underweight, whip tillered bows.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 10:15:39 am »
I never consider the thickness. Reduce the thickness until the limbs are bending evenly and together at the draw weight you are shooting for.
 Leave the tips on the wide side at least until you get to low brace so you can see how the string tracks. After that you can narrow the tips. Until then you may need to remove wood from one side or the other to get the string lined up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:57 am »
Can you be more specific if you are talking about narrowing width or reducing thickness?

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »
both, thickness and width.    I'm trying to find a good way to make an adjustable string with b-50 dacron, i'm prob just going to use some pull string.. so i don't waste good material.   so.  i'm going to wait till i have both sides bending even, before i narrow the width from 15inches to the nocking points. 
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.