Author Topic: adjustable Bow string.  (Read 4480 times)

Offline James Rodney

adjustable Bow string.
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:44:57 pm »
this may sound stupid, and may be a waste of b-50 dacron.. but i was wondering if there was a way to make an adjustable string that i can use for tillering?   i know how to make a continuous loop string, but not adjustable.  i've googled and got a few results, but i don't have the equipment needed to make it.   

this is the string that i've been making.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmmv9aSuPc  i'm practically using the same thing he's using to make strings.   2x4 with nails in holes that were drilled out. 
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: adjustable Bow string.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:57:30 pm »
Just make one end a permanent loop and the other a braided line and tie a bowyers knot on the braided side, and voila, an adjustable bowstring!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:00:21 pm »
 Timber hitch.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 03:04:56 pm »
There are also several videos on YouTube about making an adjustable bowstring, it works very well for tillering, and is relatively simple and easy to make!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »
Yep, build yourself a tillering string with a braided loop on one end that's about 74" long.  A bowyers knot on the other end will give you all the adjustment you need.

I build Flemish twist strings for all my bow strings.  They have a lot more adjustment than a continuous loop string and I just like the softer feel and look of them a LOT better.......more traditional too.  You can make a string jig quite easily.  Google "Flemish twist string jigs" and you'll fine several.  They do not have to be fancy but I built a walnut one with brass pins that's nice to use.  A pine board and nails will do.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »
I use this removable chain link. No sharp edges. Doesn't work any better than a timber hitch

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »
You don't actually even need a jig (though it makes life easier) you can rough it with two nails hammered into a fence or other long object, measure the distance you will need and start spooling out some line :)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
Think it was del that posted something like that a while back?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 04:35:37 pm »
Yup, just a fancy version of that link.
My original one was like a "8" you could thread the string round through the two holes to shorten it. I gave it away at the Classic. My latest is just a ring turned from some aluminium bar, but I also use an old ball race.
I have a couple of long strings, one V long for warbows and a shorter one. They have BIG loops so can go onto roughed out staves.
There's a pic of it here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/yew-primitive-braced.html
The big advantage over a timber hitch is it won't slip, it's easy to remove and easy to adjust. One turn through adjusts the string about 1/2" any smaller amount can be done by twisting.
Del
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:39:10 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
I stole the idea from Del >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 04:40:21 pm »
I stole the idea from Del >:D
That's fine, my lawyers will be onto it... soon as they've finished with VW >:D ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 06:37:58 pm »
But I meant it as flattery, honest :'( :'(

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 07:08:14 pm »
Yep, build yourself a tillering string with a braided loop on one end that's about 74" long.  A bowyers knot on the other end will give you all the adjustment you need.

I build Flemish twist strings for all my bow strings.  They have a lot more adjustment than a continuous loop string and I just like the softer feel and look of them a LOT better.......more traditional too.  You can make a string jig quite easily.  Google "Flemish twist string jigs" and you'll fine several.  They do not have to be fancy but I built a walnut one with brass pins that's nice to use.  A pine board and nails will do.

Endless loop strings have been used for hundreds of years
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com