Author Topic: Cane or shoot arrows + multiple foreshafts  (Read 1828 times)

Offline JRFaulk

Cane or shoot arrows + multiple foreshafts
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:22 am »
I have recently gotten back into making arrows again.  After reading all the posts on cane and shoot arrows I could find, I ran across a few people that have more than one foreshaft per arrow (such as a target/field point and a broadhead).  It makes sense, however I'm wondering, especially as it seems to me my foreshafts have to be fitted to individual arrows, how you would keep up with which foreshaft goes with which arrow.  A marking system would seem to be in order.  Is there any evidence of aboriginal peoples doing this?  I'm also curious how many carry extra foreshafts with them, and how native peoples may have done so. I would be grateful for any and all information on this topic.  Pictures would be wonderful as well.  Thanks in advance.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane or shoot arrows + multiple foreshafts
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:06:10 am »
I don't use foreshafts. Seems like a lot of extra work for nothing. For cane and shoot shafts I haft the point right into the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:28 pm »
For shoots, the point goes right into the shaft, on cane, I've done it both ways but prefer the non foreshafts way as I don't have to work as much. I usually practice with the same arrows I hunt with so changing isn't necessary.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:48:22 pm »
nothing wrong with making foreshafts for hollow core shafts such as bamboo, river cane , or reeds. you can build your arrows to accept one size of fore shaft. and just copy that many times over. i did this. it allowed me to make river cane arrows that i could use with many different points on foreshafts. such as bird points, 3 pronged locust needle points for birds, small flint points, hammered nail points for small animals, larger points for bigger stuff. even fishing points. yea, i know your not suppose to use feathers with fishing arrows. which would be the case if you were making a multi task arrow.not one fish i ever shot complained about it though :) Tony

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 07:58:47 pm »
heres a idea, if you made a foreshaft. then coppied it many times over so you had many. took that first foreshaft, and a bamboo, reed, or river cane shaft. dig a small hole put shaft in hole sit by hole with your feet on shaft holding it in position. with foreshaft in hands spin it back and forth till it seats well. pop it out. do the next shaft, then the next, then the next so on and so forth. you may need to use a couple a fore shafts to make a whole bunch of arrows. now with minor tweeking the rest of your foreshafts will fit all your shafts. mount whatever on each of these, make your arrows, there ya go. your going to have to make small slits lengthwise into your shafts were the accept the fore shaft and wrap with sinew. why? because sinew stretches. it will help "grab" your foreshaft with whatever point on it. just a couple thoughts here . Tony

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »
riverrat.......wow .................................your really  in to it
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »
To me foreshafts are only useful if you want to put different types of points on the same arrow.  to me it's easier to just make different arrows so each arrow is used for only one thing
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 10:09:03 am »
I have not done it but I would think a little sticky pine sap on the tapered insert part would really help to hold the foreshaft in place. Not pine pitch because it has to be heated. Just a sticky sap of some kind...Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes