Author Topic: 55" Osage Recurve  (Read 12253 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: 55" Osage Recurve
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2015, 09:09:51 pm »
The curve on that thing when drawn is really a sight to behold. Beautiful!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2015, 11:04:16 pm »
Wicked bow. Just sweet. Did you use steam, boiling or dry heat for those hooks?

blackhawk

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2015, 07:46:51 am »
Wicked bow. Just sweet. Did you use steam, boiling or dry heat for those hooks?

Steam all the way....i would never even think of trying that type of bend with dry heat as it would for sure crack. Thanks!!! :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2015, 09:48:32 am »
Very well made bow hawk and nice pics too.Nice!!!!!!.I gotta tiller a sinewed BL static here too later this fall.Got some garder ribbon snakes for it too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2015, 02:43:11 pm »
Slick bow. How wide are the limbs are their widest points? Was the paddle-style front profile challenging to tiller?

blackhawk

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »
Thanks ed...long time no see :)

Eric the widest point of the limbs is 1 3/4"...i don't find the paddle front profiles any more difficult to tiller than any other. ..just scrape whats stiff and leave alone what isnt just like with anything else...and paying more attention to a nice even bend that what it looks like from the front. Only thing to be watched is when roughing it down to floor tiller that the thickness taper is gonna get thicker faster as you approach the fades and handle.

Offline DC

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2015, 04:52:24 pm »
Classy classy bow :D :D I noticed that the string has just lifted off at full draw, is that what you want in a recurve?

blackhawk

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2015, 07:27:19 pm »
Thanks DC...as far as performance goes i really dont know when the optimum point of lift off is? From my own personal experiences i do like em best when they dont lift off untill a few inches before full draw or right before..it makes for one fat FD curve with great early string tension,and the smoothest pulling bows ive ever drawn. They are super smooooth...this bow doesnt feel like a short bow that draws 57 pounds...it feels like a 80" longbow only drawing maybe 50 pounds...i dig it!!! ;) 

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2015, 11:02:05 am »
Blackhawk, how do you get the decurve into the handle area -- is that done by steaming, too, or is that how the stave is to begin with?

blackhawk

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2015, 07:47:54 pm »
Thanks planb...heres how i do it with dry heat...i copied n pasted from the thread that asked how ;)

Welp...since it was asked i might as well show since im currently making one and doing exactly what the op asked...

Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. ..

First i put the stave clamped up like this with just enough pressure to hold it....

In the first pic you can see it clamped ready for heat,and under the belly where it sits you can see it sitting on a half round red maple sapling trunk (perfectly round)...this is called redneck engineering and using what ya got...ive used this piece countless times over the last 5 years...on top of my clamps is another deflex form and it gives a more subtle elongated bend compared to the sharper bend the maple trunk gives me. Then i start dry heating it along both sides and try to hit underneath as much as i can...i even hit some heat to the top ( but not too much to turn it color like the sides and underneath. Then once its pliable enough you will know when you squezze the clamps as it will move..i only move em little by little,and in between each movements i heat it with heat...and while im squeezing i keep the gun on it.

And the end result...viola!!!!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2015, 12:36:35 am »
That bow has a bit of Chester Stevenson in it... but with a different limb profile. Super sweet.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2015, 01:33:07 am »
That bow has a bit of Chester Stevenson in it... but with a different limb profile. Super sweet.

Gabe

That was what I was Just thinking.

I was stoked as soon as I saw the title. I knew when I clicked on "Blackhawk: 55" Osage Recurve" I was in for a treat, and WOW, what a treat! That is an absolute stunner.  8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2015, 09:45:39 am »
Thanks gabe n carson...good eyes on the similarities. ..a year or two ago i got to see some osage recurve flight bows from that era thanks to seabass,and this is basically exactly how they did a lot of them...i loved it and wanted to do em,but in my own way with the r/d side profile...;) and it turned out sweeter than sweet..at least i thought it did n i may be bias  >:D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2015, 09:52:13 am »
Dang...I don't know how I missed this one.  She's a beauty!  Josh

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2015, 03:22:43 pm »
Thank you for those photos, Blackhawk. That is just amazing to me.