Author Topic: Ball pythons  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Ball pythons
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »
I just got my first ball python this weekend, I feel like a new addiction has started. It's a male coral glow, it's the yellow, orange, and purple one in the picture. He's a little guy right now at about 23-24" and 145 gram. The other one belongs to a buddy of mine who talked me into getting mine after I messing with his. They seem to be great pets. They have a very good temperment, don't roam very far or fast, and are just plain neat to look at. I'm curious if anyone else has any ball pythons? If so feel free to put up some pictures and show them off. I think I've caught the python bug and have been doing nothing but reading on them the last few days. I had to show off the new pet.

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Ball pythons
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:01 pm »
They are a great starter snake, seemingly enjoying contact with their people.  Make sure you have high quality artificial sunlight for the li'l feller and watch temps closely in his habitat.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:18:33 pm »
Friend of mine has a real big one, quite interesting to handle snakes, as I have been told all my life that you should always stay a good distance from any snake, almost goes against instinct to handle one for me. Cool looking snake though!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:20 pm »
Those will make a nice backing  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:48:50 pm »
Those will make a nice backing  >:D

....for an awfully short bow.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:26:00 pm »
I don't know JW.  They look fat enough to split in half
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:25:28 am »
Beautiful snake,I'm with Clint on this one.I am a dog man, no snakes as pets for me. To each there own. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:27:33 pm »
Yep, when it got to 6' I'd have it on a bow. They are tastie, too. We BBQ'd a 16 footer a few years ago.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 02:41:41 pm »
They won't get quite that big. When full grown I expect him to be about 4' long and a little smaller than a soda can. That's how big the father was at the store I got him frome. That female should get to about 4 1/2-5 feet and a little bigger than a soda can. If that pattern stayed with them as adults I would probably back a bow with him when he dies. But hopefully that'll be 30 years down the road and of old age. In the mean time I should be able to make a little money off him once I get him a female.

Kyle

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 02:50:36 pm »
I'm sure others have more experience than I do when it comes to invasive wildlife. Don't breed them for money, do it because it is something you love. it isn't easy, and it is too easy for people to just dump them off when they don't want them anymore. Utah just started having an alligator snapping turtle problem. where do you suppose they came from?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »
They have good temperaments just before they eat you  >:D
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 08:11:28 pm »
Well, I hope if you sell them it's not to anybody in Florida. We have enough of that crap crawling and swimming down here.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 09:31:53 pm »
Always loved snakes.  I remember as a little kid I found a baby garter snake and brought it in to show my mom.  She wasn't too pleased about that.  ;) 

Your new pet is a real beauty, never seen that color pattern before but I'm not current on pet snakes.

Offline Patches

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:15 am »
Those are beautiful snakes you have there.  I have had several ball pythons.  Always a good tempered well behaved snake.  They are a good snake to use to show people that most snakes are not something to be feared.  My last ball python ended up becoming obese because a friend of mine like to feed the snake after the friend partook of herbal entertainment.  The snake ended up being quite a bit larger around than a soda can that's for sure!  He was a good snake.  Somewhere I have a photo of him curled up around my head, using it for a heat rock.  I will see if I can find the photo. 

These snakes live for 30 + years so owning them is a lifetime commitment.  My last one died when there was a gas leak in the house while I was at work.   I have not gotten a new one. 

Enjoy them!

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »
Well like I said I hope you like them. The University of North Carolina did a study a few years ago about how the ones in Florida are adapting to the environment and weather.
They found that by basicly, semi hibernating, they could survive the winters and are doing this by living in Culverts and houses. The UNC said within ten years the y would be as far north as North Carolina and established.

I know that when I first started hunting Chris Cade's farm in SC in 2005 there was not a single Armadillo I saw. Now you see road kill all over the roads.

Getting in a stand or ground blind in Florida in the dark is more stressfull, now.
Lakeland, Florida