Author Topic: Tree ID 2  (Read 2695 times)

Offline James Rodney

Tree ID 2
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:28:29 pm »
ok, here is another that i'm interested in knowing what it is.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID 2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »
Is the leaf a single or part of a compound leaf. The fruit looks like some type of hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:33:00 pm »
this is the closest i could get to the leaves without climbing
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:43:06 pm »
Looks like a hickory. We don't have that type here but I've seen plenty of pics of hickory with that bark. Pignut?

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:43:43 pm »
Pignut Hickory

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:50:08 pm »
Good for bows?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 06:54:47 pm »
You've got Dogwood and Hickory and those are the first two trees you've looked at. Sounds like you're in bow makers heaven. Git choppin'

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:14:05 pm »
Lol.. Yea I just chopped down the dogwood.  Now I have to get tools to split them.. I have enough for at least 6 staves.  That hickory, is going to be a challenge. Massive tree. Trying to figure out how I wanna proceed with that.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:10 pm »
Lol.. Yea I just chopped down the dogwood.  Now I have to get tools to split them.. I have enough for at least 6 staves.  That hickory, is going to be a challenge. Massive tree. Trying to figure out how I wanna proceed with that.

Look for a smaller one. They tend to not be lone trees.

riverrat

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 07:44:13 pm »
"Good for bows?" no way, worst wood ever. matter of fact you dont want to contaminate the rest of the woods around you with that thing. better cut it down and send it to me so i can burn it safely away from all the good trees where your at. lol Tony

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »
Hickory grows together, where there is one large one, thee tend to be several smaller ones. So look around the area and you might find some great sapling staves or even larger trees (it's one of my favorite woods for sapling bows actually.)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:55 pm »
Where are you? Looks like maybe black hickory
Springfield, MO

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:05:07 am »
Definitely a hickory of some sort.  I'd say you're pretty well set for bow wood. I wish I had hickory on my place.  Josh

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:41 am »
I'm in York County S.C.  and if anyone wants some, be my guest to come and get it! lol  i'm in the process of clearing out a spot for a Deer plot.  I'm going to check around that tree later today, and see if i can find some saps.  I split and sealed 4 dogwood staves.. 2  of them i trashed.. had way to many knots and twists.  Today i'll chop down a hickory if i can find a smaller one.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »
maybe there is a good limb in that big one