Author Topic: stone, bone, antler,horn, and wood arrow making tools.  (Read 7466 times)

riverrat

Re: stone, bone, antler,horn, and wood arrow making tools.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
heres a pic, never knew the name of it, just knew it worked for shoot shafts. used it for years.found out the name doing some research this morning.Tony

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 10:33:12 am »
Tony, that is false indigo or bastard indigo(Amorpha fruticosa)., a native shrub growing mostly in poor soils. I have a few plants that I planted here at my place with many other native plants I've often wondered how it would work as shafting..
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:35 am »
grows wild here anywheres there is water. im always by the river, hence my handle name, so i use that. it takes a long time to dry. it will warp a lot if you dont heat bend it after its real dry then grease and burnish the heck out of it. you dont want moisture to get back into it. so keep them greased and burnished. i even thought about smoking them when i heat bend just to make sure moisture can not go back into the shafts easily. but ive used them for a long long time. they do work.strong. very strong.i use them for atlatl darts as well.like i said, very strong.Tony

riverrat

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:48:54 am »
new nock cutting tool. besides using a flint blade, to "saw" i made a tool that works great. well actually 3 tools that work . different thicknesses. they are shells from the river. i flake off jagged edges from the shell and then use it to saw a nock out. youd be amazed at how perfect it makes the taper for a well made flint point with a thin base.Tony