Author Topic: Still can't break the target panic  (Read 8555 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Still can't break the target panic
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:26 pm »
 HALF EYE'S right for some people touch can break your panic.

Heres what I did in the ealy 90's. And this is how I broke it. At the time I worked for a surveyer that was totally into HOWARD HILL.

My target panicwas so bad I had nothing to lose. So I learned to aim and shoot HILL syle.

His way of aiming works great shooting distance. I mean at 50 yards I could put  10 arrows in the end of a hay bail.

But unfortently closer you shoot 20 or under you shoot instivite. The ways I buck hunt are all shoot under 15 yards. So I unknowinglly steped by and shot instintive.

DOING THIS CURED MY TRAGET PANIC. iT'S NEVER CAME BACK.

Some people just get close at a bail don't but a traget on it. Ans just shoot. In the dark helps some people

Some people only shoot at a natural looking deer target.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
I appreciate the advice everyone. Pearl drums that's a very generous offer, if your still interested in letting me borrow the DVDs let me know and I'll take you up on the offer. What you guys describes where you start out shooting well but eventually fall apart, start short drawing, and becoming sporadic is what happens to me. And the worse my agooting gets the more I mess up and the shorter I start drawing. I feel like I need to gain that control of my shot. right now it is to where that when snap shooting on my better days I usually maintain a grapefruit sized cluster to about 15-20 yards depending on the day, but once I start missing I go way downhill and missing by a yard or more as close as 10 yards at times.

After some thinking i realized that over the last few years I havnt had one bow that I stick to for most of my shooting. Most of the shooting I end up doing is when I make a bow for someone I shoot it a bunch then it goes on to its new home. I'm feeling like that could be a major culprit of my problem, I've never had one bow that I have learned and adjusted to. I think I need to make a habit of every time I test shoot a new bow to start and finish with my main bow. 

Thanks for the advice everyone, and if you have any more tips to give I feel like this thread will help out more reading this thread than just me. Which I hope it does.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 11:53:08 am »
Send me your address Kyle. I'll try to ship the DVD's in the next day or three. My name is on the covers, please be sure I get them back when your done. I will forget where I sent them, I'm relying on your memory kid-o!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 01:49:39 pm »
Thanks a bunch pearl drums. I won't forget where they came from. I sent you a PM.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 12:13:18 am »
What has helped me is to develope a shot sequence.  I try to do the same thing every shot like a doggone machine.  It sounds silly but here is my shot:  1.  find the tiny little spot that I want to hit.  2. tap shooting glove against my right thigh so fingers are down in it right.  3. cant bow and take a good grip with my forearm lined up with arrow.  4.  Raise that canted bow with the nocked arrow pointed at my spot.  5.  Draw to anchor and shoot while only focusing on that tiny spot.  When my thumb knuckle fits under my cheek bone the arrow is gone.  I can't think about too many things at one time.  I check these things off my mental list and if my focus on the tiny little spot is good, that arrow won't be too far out of the kill zone.    That is all I have to offer except for to END ON A GOOD NOTE in every practice session.  You can really mess your own mind up with this archery stuff if you practice in a bad state of mind.  End each session with a good group.  I can only concentrate properly for up to maybe fifty shots - some days half that.  After that I am just flinging arrows.  If you start analyzing, correcting and overcorrecting problems that are showing up during times of lost concentration, you can ruin your shooting.  Grapefruit size groups make meat Kyle.  I think you are a good shot, you just have to break your shot down to some simple parts that you can repeat and keep on building your confidence.  Everyone has there own style and you don't have to complare your shot to anyone else's.  You have to find what works for you.  This is a good thread and I hope some of you more accomplished target shooters will chime in.         
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »
The last few days I have been practicing where in not paying much attention to anchoring or anything to do with perfect form. I've just been focusing on the target to where I feel like I'm trying to burn a hole through it with my eyes. Started ahooting good enough again that Ive been taking an old recurve out hunting. It's been raining and super misty and foggy so I cheated and used glass. But this morning I made a near perfect 18-20 yard shot on a spike. But for some reason no penetration as in a few inches. Which I'll start a post on that in the campfire section due to using a glass bow. But I feel like I'm finding something to work for me. I just need to perfect it. And made a good center punch on a chunk of ice cream bucket at 25 yards while walking out for lunch from looking for the deer. I think that I had bad shootings in my mind making me shoot bad. In a combinations from a flinch I developed from an aggressive compound and not shooting trad for a while. I think I'm starting to get that out of my head and my confidence back. Now I gotta work on having more good days so the target panic problem goes away all together. I think my whole problem is a confidence problem, low confidence = bad shooting, high confidence = good shooting.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 06:33:53 pm »
Good for you Kyle! I had a similar problem when I started shooting again after my surgery. It took a few days but now I'm back to stacking them in the kill zone! Keep practicing! I try to shoot about 5 dozen arrows a day at different ranges. Some known and some not.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 07:26:02 pm »
The way I've been practicing is to throw the arrows to different places from the target and shoot from wherever the tip of the arrows land. I'll throw some close and some as far as I can get them. It seems to be helping. I've notice I definitely drae shorter with this methods that's been working. It's knocked me from a 26.5" draw to a 25".

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 11:36:00 pm »
The way I've been practicing is to throw the arrows to different places from the target and shoot from wherever the tip of the arrows land. I'll throw some close and some as far as I can get them. It seems to be helping. I've notice I definitely drae shorter with this methods that's been working. It's knocked me from a 26.5" draw to a 25".

Kyle

Thats an idea I hadn't thought about, I'm going to try that. My normal draw is 27 inches but when I shot my hunting bow,  I draw closer to 26 inches.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 12:23:59 pm »
Kyle you will learn in the DVD's why that type of shooting can really burn you or really make you feel like a champ. Consistency is key, more than form. Even if you short draw and snap shoot, you can be just fine if its the same exact process each time. When you start getting too many moving parts like you are, it only takes one to be off and your arrow is 12" left for the day. A consistent draw should be your focus. Try closing your eyes and releasing arrows at 3-4 yards, over and over and over until you draw the same each time. Draw elbow level, consistent anchor point and follow through is hard to beat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 04:07:30 am »
I dont know what anyone else has already said but here are my thoughts. If you have a round bale shoot at five yards. Draw up and make groups. You wont miss at five yards, get a rythm. Shoot hundreds of arrows like this. Just work on form at this range. Target panic is the fear of missing. You wont miss at this range. Find your rythm and work on form. Then slowly work backwards. And then the trick is to shoot the exact same way at five yards as you do at fifty. Same draw, same focus, same time, same follow through,. Evetything

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »
what Jayman says works for me,, as I go back if I start to miss,, I go close again,,