Author Topic: Hemp  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Hemp
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 11:33:11 am »
Marijuana with a THC content of over 1%(or equally small amount, memory ::)) is illegal to cultivate. Industrial hemp has an almost negligible THC content and can be grown. However it cannot be harvested until it is dead and dry. At that point the oils are not worth extracting or evaporated completely, but rope from the fibers can still be made. So over half the commercial value of the plant is wasted. At least that's the way it was before the changes in pot laws began.

It was a hot button issue in South Dakota about 12 yrs ago. The Lakota reservation fought a heck of a legal battle over the restrictions surrounding growing hemp. Industrial hemp was about the only profitable crop that could be grown in the awful barren ground we were generous enough to stick them on after we kicked them off all the good bits. The ridiculousness went as far as they had to have each plant individually tested and tagged with that plants THC content on it. Funny part is, industrial hemp is an awful thing to have around if you're growing the medicinal strains. It will fertilize them from dozens of miles away. In addition to making the plant go to seed those seeds will be a industrial cross and be of no use to a medicinal grower.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 12:05:38 pm »
Hemp is a variety of cannabis — and thus a cousin of marijuana — that contains 0.3% or less of the psychoactive component THC. (Marijuana plants typically contain 5% to 20% THC.) You can't get high from hemp, but starting in 1937, U.S. drug laws made cultivating it off-limits.Jun 25, 2014

http://www.ncsl.org/research/agriculture-and-rural-development/state-industrial-hemp-statutes.aspx

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 10:17:44 pm »
In an attempt to keep the US paper production lumber based if I remember correctly. At least the timber companies lobbied/paid for the laws from what I've read.

Improvement of function, effect, efficiency, or quality in general matters little when profit and loss are involved.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:57 pm »

It also makes a superb cloth.  We could not manufacture it here, but could import it.  I wonder how much kick back went some where in the land of Deceitful Cohorts?  Anyway, whatever variety it is very useful.  I will not go into areas, that might involve Big Pharma, and other strictly for profit, mega business, as to why Hemp, or Pot is illegal, but it rather obvious, especially after the big propaganda movie, in the late forties.  I had some natural hemp, some with wax, some without, from India, and it was a bit pathetic, as far as strength, and uniformity, goes.
                                    Wayne

riverrat

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:06 pm »
i like hemp for my bow strings. and sewing as well. i even backed a bow with strands of it once. had to retiller as it was way to hard to pull. . Tony

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 09:43:03 am »
I use that store variety hemp cord all the time for a rustic look.  It's a bit thick for wrappings and a bit weak for bow strings but it works.  It's a cheap material that's good for the kids when they want to make stuff.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

riverrat

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 12:06:50 pm »
walmart has 2 ply hemp cordage that is very small diam. but its strong! i do 5 strands of two ply twist one way then double it over, twist the other way. works on a 40-45 pound bow without a problem.id rather make my own from scratch but i think the authorities wouldnt believe why id be growing it.lol Tony

Offline Zuma

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 01:19:35 pm »
Very cool you-all. :) thanks
Seems one word thread titles work
or is it juat the subject matter?
Perhaps I could start a thread in Campfire
'Girls" and see how many responses come in. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:35 pm »
Well, there are some people here that may appreciate a thread on Campfire Girls but I think most of us are a bit old. >:D >:D

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 05:30:20 pm »
Well, there are some people here that may appreciate a thread on Campfire Girls but I think most of us are a bit old. >:D >:D
  Are you ever too old for girls? Or hemp?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 07:18:01 pm »
I agree :)
Something like "Golden Girls and medicinal
herbs:
But I jest. We are off topic.
Ado and partake resopnsibly.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline edgemaster

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 09:26:56 pm »
gnarly man, hang 10

smoke on

bong rip

pass the grass

too faded for bowyery

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 01:00:49 pm »
Ya got anything to eat?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 02:27:42 pm »
Ya got anything to eat?
I never tried it But--- >:D ;) :laugh:

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 03:41:37 pm »
Kinda chewy lookin' but it is natural, gimme a chunk :D :D :D