Author Topic: First Arrows  (Read 2197 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
First Arrows
« on: November 09, 2015, 02:34:48 pm »
I made some arrows over the weekend -- my first. I have collected a lot of materials outdoors, but nothing was dry enough to use yet so these are made with purchased POC shafts. The points for target practice were just ground down staging nails, per the bamboo arrow thread sticky at the top of this forum. I also used the simple cardboard fletching aid also in another sticky. They all weigh 24 grams, and I'm using them with my 38# elm bow. I adjusted the length of the nail to get them to the same weight. They were spined by the seller for 35-40#. I'm looking forward to using local natural materials when I can.

I'm having trouble getting used to these arrows after the carbon plastic fletched ones. They seem to hit where I aim. Also, they seem to not drop much on the way there.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: First Arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »
Nice looking arrows. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »
Looks to be some fine arrows!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:15:42 pm »
Nice job. Christmas arrows for shooting reindeer >:D

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:14:31 pm »
Nice first set of arrows!  I like the paint job. 
But why is it hard to get used to arrows hitting where you aim?   ???  :D
Aim Small...Hit Small

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:03:40 am »
nice arrows ! Tony

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:45:11 am »
Great job I look forward to seeing the ones you make from locally sourced shafts!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 09:23:13 am »
Thanks guys!  :)

I painted the back part of the shaft red so I could find the misses in the grass easier, and I used green for the stripes because I read somewhere, (can't remember where) that it was once believed to be a color that helped you hit your mark -- I didn't think about Christmas!

Anyway the green seems to have helped a lot -- well maybe it was using real feathers that did it compared to those plastic fletched carbon arrows. Who knows? But I was just kidding ,Cherokee, kinda glad to hit where I aim more often now!

The two things that have improved my accuracy more than anything else I've done in archery, is build a self bow and now some arrows. Basic stuff works better for me than off the shelf technology. Maybe there is more of a connection. It is hard to get used to, but in a good way, that arrows will fly more directly, now from mostly just found materials in nature. I do look forward to making my own shafts,and maybe even arrow heads.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:40:22 am »
How did you go about fitting the nail head points onto the POC shafts?

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 11:09:58 am »
Urufu, I drilled the shaft by hand to the depth of the staging nail stub. I drilled with an ordinary hand drill, after dimpling the center of the blank, and drilling small amounts carefully. I stopped often and rotated the blank I was holding -- you can feel if you're off center that way, or angled. I apply pressure to correct whichever side needs it.

Each stub was a slightly different length because I weighed the fletched arrow first, and then sawed off the nail to bring the total to 24 grams. I used Duco cement, instead of  the polyurethane (like Gorilla Glue) that the bamboo arrow stickie build-along recommended, because bamboo is hollow, and the poly foams up to fill big spaces like that. I didn't think POC needed it, and I've had experiences where that poly type glue expansion can actually force pieces apart.

I drilled very slightly undersize hole -- just so I could push the nail shaft in by twisting. I pre-saturated the hole with glue, waited a bit then added more and twisted the nail in slowly, backing it out if there was pressure or air bubbles and then twisting in again. You don't want to hammer a peg with a close fit that is glued like that or you can actually split the surrounding wood with hydraulic pressure.

I rotated the arrow to see if the point appeared to be off center, and twisted the nail until it looked centered with that test -- most nails aren't exactly centered on the head, likewise n end drilled hole, but you can center them closely by rotating in relation to each other.  Then I wrapped the ends with artificial sinew and more glue to prevent splitting. I kept a good heavy tension on the wrap, and finished with a half hitch. Then let everything dry.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:17:15 am by PlanB »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 06:51:39 pm »
Thanks guys!  :)

I painted the back part of the shaft red so I could find the misses in the grass easier, and I used green for the stripes because I read somewhere, (can't remember where) that it was once believed to be a color that helped you hit your mark -- I didn't think about Christmas!

The red and green/ accuracy comes from Ishi, I think,  who thought those colors made better shooting arrows--until Saxton Pope began out shooting--whereupon he switched to blue.  The the set of arrows I just sent to Lebhuntfish, however, have the red and green cresting stripes as a shout out to Ishi  with the same hope for accuracy.