Author Topic: Bent arrows  (Read 2455 times)

Offline DC

Bent arrows
« on: November 04, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »
I made some shafts and got them nicely matched in spine and nice and straight. I stained and put a Varathane finish on them. It was a bit cold in the shop so I brought them in and stood them in front of the stove to dry. This morning they all have a beautiful curve >:( >:( Will this come out if I just leave them or do I have to straighten them?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bent arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »
You will have to straighten them. What kind of shafts are they?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 02:15:10 pm »
Western Hemlock. It's the first time I've used it so everything is new :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »
Were the shafts well seasoned? They shouldn't have bent otherwise just standing in front of the wood stove.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 03:21:19 pm »
The same thing crossed my mind but the 1/2 x 1/2 blanks sat in a hot box at 100 degrees for 2 weeks and never bent a bit. And they've been sitting for month since then.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:31:15 pm »
I wonder if the varnish might have had something to do with it? Polyurethanes cure by absorption of moisture, and even dry wood has some, which would release on a hot side into the poly more than the cool side. Dunno, just a guess.

Seems like 1/2 square hemlock would dry very fast -- least the stuff I have does.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:04 pm »
I weighed it every day while it was in the hotbox. It took about 4-5 days to stabilize.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:21:47 pm »
Split that stuff out and set it aside for a year or two and I bet it will make much better arrows. Seasoned vs. dry!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:08:08 pm by Pat B »

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »
That's the plan. I was just anxious to try some. I was really pleased with how stable it seems to be. Even with fast drying there was no sign of warping.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 10:39:42 pm »
Dont know why you place your stuff near the wood stove.  I would never do that; much to dry and hot.   All my Gear is down stairs inside the house no problems with warping.   I have wall racks that hold about 35 arrows and the bows are hanging on a simple rack.  Its just my way keeps everything organized.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 07:34:48 am »
set those curved arrows aside they can be used for shooting around things . lol
john 3:16

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 09:04:45 am »
If you have a heat gun you can straighten them. I use a combination heat gun and a screwdriver shank rubbed on the high side of the bend. I heat straighten, let sit a day and correct any that try to go back with the screwdriver shank.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 12:54:45 pm »
It wasn't a wood stove, it's gas, not that hot, and I was in a hurry. Yah, that's a good excuse :)
it wasn't a big deal to straighten them, I just didn't want to straighten them and then have them straighten themselves. I used a screwdriver, no heat.

riverrat

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »
something i learned, always lay your arrows flat, never lean them on anything. ever play billards or pool? lean a stick against a wall enough times and you end up with a bent stick. pool sticks are hard wood, solid and straight as a arrow when you buy them. lean them and you have nothing more than a very expensive 2 piece bow that dont work very well as such. ;)or put them in a hard case of some sorts {rawhide quiver maybe?} anyhow to the lean against a object flush with them. Tony