Author Topic: horn bow without horn?  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Badger

Re: horn bow without horn?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 02:09:53 pm »
  I think the reason horn bows are horn bows and wood bows are wood bows is because they perform best if we design them t suit the materials they were mad from. I have never seen a wood bow built like a horn bow perform as well as a wood bow designed as a good wood bow. LOL>

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 06:56:42 am »
I don't know as much about bow making as I would like but but I gotta ask myself on a comparison between wood bows and horn bows where do the bows' limbs work.On a wooden bow you want it spread evenly throughout the limb most times.On a horn bow and I mean a turkish style one it works in a lot smaller area like about 6 to 8 inches close to the handle.To me the speed horn bows get is from that small working area.Very hard to get wood to do that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 07:29:50 pm »
Mollegabet bows look like Han dynasty horn bows, but without an angle at the lever transition or setback handle to me. Guess one could do a nice Han-like wood bow if it's sinew backed in the working limbs. The compression pine siberian/scandinavian bows look kind of like Manchu bows sometimes.