Author Topic: Blunts and Silly Wabbits  (Read 8561 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Blunts and Silly Wabbits
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »
Does anyone here hunt rabbits (or other critters) with blunt arrows?

I've never hunted with blunts but I think I'll try it this year.  There is no closed season for rabbits in Texas.  However, I don't want to wound the critters....and then chase after 'em on foot through the cactus (and such).  Will a body shot with a short 40# bow and a 400 grain wooden blunt arrow be enough for a clean kill at 10-15 yards?

My short 40# bows will shoot a 500 grain arrow through the crony at between 105-110 fps.

Thanks.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Stonedog

Re: Blunts and Silly Wabbits
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:22 pm »
I use a .30 cal brass with a bleeder blade inserted, made from metal banding....will flat knock a cotton tail or skrill outta they shoes!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:42:47 pm »
Sounds sufficient to me. I've used blunts successfully on bunnies out to 15 yards. I prefer the Ace hex blunt on squirrels. Need more cutting power than shock. My two cents.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:25:53 pm »
Thanks guys.  :)

I've been reading about .38 shell casings, "nutters", rubber boppers, and other stuff on this forum....so this topic about blunts is probably old hat for most of you.  And it seems most people use 50-60# bows for all of their hunting regardless of game....so the poor critter doesn't stand a chance regardless of the type of point used.

I guess not many people have tried using the NA style wooden blunts in the field?  I seem to see quite a few being made and collected.  Are they just wall ornaments?

:-\

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

joewaco78

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:40:10 pm »
I use 38 super casing.. Works great!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:56:45 pm »
 I use 38 or 357's, and killed them with 20# bows. Don't use the Judo's unless you want to tear up a lot of meat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 01:02:12 am »
Nutters are devastating on small critters...and they are cheap and easy!!! 8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 06:47:42 am »
I like the ace hex also.160grain.I am sure the others will be fine  but the ace are a little easier for me to find,and I do miss a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 03:21:12 pm »
Thanks guys!

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Slivershooter

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:14:05 pm »
Like others I use the ace hex head or nutters on most small game the size of gophers.  I haven’t had very good luck with any type of blunt on critters larger then them.  For larger critters such as rabbits/hares, geese, ducks, pheasants, and grouse I use broadheads.  Once on a moose hunt I shot several snowshoe hares, with a #63 longbow (glass), in the head with rubber blunts and it didn't faze them; they just hopped away.  Also, in addition to better success there is less damage to the meat. 

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:22:37 am »
I agree with slivershooter, broadheads are the way to go for most any game , nothing can dampen your spirits like finally hitting a goose on the wing only to have it recover and fly away...with a broadhead that will never happen..penetration is the key to a harvest no matter the size of the game....Mike A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 02:16:42 am »
Thanks guys...I like the broadhead idea the more I think about it.  Very true about "effective harvesting" being the name of the game.  ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 03:38:35 am »
my 50 pound Ash Paddle Bow will put a 357 case Blunt right through a Jack Rabbit at 20 yards...so I would not think it would be necessary to shoot high dollar Broadheads at a Bunny.I also use my homemade all wood blunts on Reed Arrows...these work really well on Bunnies too...but they don't last as long as a 357 case does!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 03:41:02 pm »
Nice blunts Yankee, I make my bunny broadheads out of bandsaw blades I have a bandsaw mill so alwaws have material...I can cut them out with a four inch grinder.. and they  end up costing about twenty cents each.. Mike A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 06:33:57 pm »
I like the plain ol steel blunts in 160gr for rabbits.   Ace hex blunts are nice, but more expensive.  I find the blunts are harder to lose than a field point or broadhead, and out of my bows, the blunts usually go through a rabbit, so I am not concerned with penetration.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by