Author Topic: African Gray  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: African Gray
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 09:03:19 am »
Heard they all taste good wrapped in bacon.

On the rare occasions my bird gets loud I've recited recipes, fricassee of mustache parrot, poached mustache parrot, parrot a l'orange, lol. Frankly I'm surprised she hasn't picked this up, lol. One year I asked my bird rescue friend what she was having for thanksgiving, well apparently her birds were giving her the business that day because she said "A lorikeet stuffed inside a gray stuffed inside a blue and gold macaw..." lol

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »
Heard they all taste good wrapped in bacon.

On the rare occasions my bird gets loud I've recited recipes, fricassee of mustache parrot, poached mustache parrot, parrot a l'orange, lol. Frankly I'm surprised she hasn't picked this up, lol. One year I asked my bird rescue friend what she was having for thanksgiving, well apparently her birds were giving her the business that day because she said "A lorikeet stuffed inside a gray stuffed inside a blue and gold macaw..." lol

Isn't anything good wrapped with bacon?

I just have some parakeets. Loud, Messy, And they really hate to stay up late, or for me to take a nap.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 10:42:49 pm »
Go to You tube, and search for Hatebeak. Prepare to laugh. ;)

---Ford---

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 09:24:27 am »
Yea that's a band.Lots of funny U tube takes on these Gray's.Tui has a tantrum.Pretty funny.We've been figuring out listening a lot of her words.Pretty bird,Baby bird,some kind of siren sound,Hello,a long dying whistle and then the words "in coming",Robin sweeps under her cage she'll say "your a messy bird".Quite the entertainment!!!!I'm sure there are a lot more to come.She loves grapes to eat and she seems to be getting more comfortable with her new surroundings.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline unkieford

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 12:02:38 pm »
The band provides music, but the 'vocals' were all by an African Grey named Waldo.

---Ford---

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:33 pm »
There was a show on TV a while back about the difficulty of keeping parrots. The part that sticks in my mind was a video of the animal welfare people breaking into an abandoned house and finding it completely empty except for a cage with a Grey in it. It was just about dead from thirst/hunger. Fortunately it survived. Unfortunately so did the people that left it there.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:37:24 pm »
Friends of mine run a parrot rescue and DC's story is not terribly unusual.  They were contacted by a sheriffs department in Colorado to help with an abandoned macaw.  It was late November and the sheriff's deputy was at the place to serve papers on the occupants.  Nobody home, doors open, house cleared out.  He checks at the neighbors to see when the occupants were last around and finds they skipped town a week before.  The neighbors claim they keep hearing a baby crying but can't find it.  Sheriff's deputy finds the macaw in a cardboard box in the garbage can.  Bird lost several toes and part of one wing to frostbite, but is the most loving and gentle bird to this day. 

I can love the meanest of dogs and the most ornery cats.  People?  That's another issue altogether.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline le0n

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:46:47 pm »
There was a show on TV a while back about the difficulty of keeping parrots. The part that sticks in my mind was a video of the animal welfare people breaking into an abandoned house and finding it completely empty except for a cage with a Grey in it. It was just about dead from thirst/hunger. Fortunately it survived. Unfortunately so did the people that left it there.

i'm pretty sure i saw that documentary on netflix.

i remember that scene >:(

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 11:22:57 am »
Our bird had a previous owner too, not sure if they were a breeder or just jerks, but this bird was hand fed and well taken care of for the first few months but as soon as it was old enough to feed itself etc it was tossed in a cage and not touched until she reached our rescue friend who knew we were looking for a mustache parrot and go her to us. She was still really young which helped but she was quit ornery, not only was she not used to being handled anymore she was bitter from having been abandoned by the last humans that handled her so it took quite some time to bring her around but she's a sweety now, it's been years since she's even nipped at one of us. I couldn't imagine trying to rehab an older bird or a larger bird even. People think ol' Polly is gonna sit in her cage in the corner and look pretty and say cute things when they have visitors but the reality is that's another child in your family. Having been at my rescue friends house many times I've seen the sad results of neglect on the psychologically damaged birds, she had this one bird, a macaw of some sort, that had been actively abused and was so neurotic he would pluck all his feathers out constantly, he was always bald and bleeding, eventually died of infection from it, so sad.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 12:21:37 am »
     My Girlfriend's Cockatiel, would whisper, when I would walk out at night, to get a drink of water, and I would whsiper to him, and a little whistle, noise, so I would not frighten him, by waking him, when he heard me open the refrigerator door.  He would whisper whistle back at me, and all would be well.  When she put the cover on his cage, at night, and she went to bed, and I would stay up and watch T.V.. He would walk back and forth on his perch, stomping his feet, shaking the cage.  I thought what the heck is he upset about, then, I thought, oh, so I turned the T.V. down, and he settled down, and went to sleep.  He would fly to me, and take food from my mouth, but would not let me pet him, or touch him.  He would fall asleep on my knee, but she was the only one who could pet him.  He would snuggle under her chin, and she wold rub the back of his neck, and he would close his eyes, and make these little chortle like chirps.  He loved shrimp, and lobster.  I would feed him beef, and he would take a piece from my lips, and go on my shoulder, and eat it, then go back for more, but if it was shrimp or lobster, he would stay right there, and when I didn't have any more at the moment, he would run up to my shoulder, lean over, and bite my cheek, and screech, and run back down my mouth and check, to see if any more shrimp or lobster, was available.  Quite the little character!  One day he flew to the refrigerator, and started walking to the back of it.  My Girlfriend said go get him, before he falls, behind the refrigerator, so I go to get him, and he leans over the edge of the unit, cocks his head, and looks down behind the refrigerator, and says,"What're you doing?"  I asked my Girlfriend if she had a troll living behind the refrigerator.  He could whistle the worms, crawl in and worms, crawl out, and various little phrases.  She raised him from a very young stage, and the girl who previously had him, didn't pay much attention to him, and almost starved him to death.  My Girlfriend nursed him back to health, and he lived about 13 years.  She would get up every 4hrs, or so, and feed him, and water him, with an eye dropper, till he was able to finally start feeding on his own.  She kept him in a fish tank.  And he would travel with her, in that tank.  And in the morning he would tap the side of the tank, to wake her up.  He did not like insects though.  There was moth in the apt. and it was just a small one, my Mother used to call them camel flies, because of the wing structure.  Anyway, this little moth flew by him, when he was out of his cage, and you would have thought a cat had him!  He really put up a ruckus, and flew back to his cage, and squawked, until we caught the moth, and got rid of it.  Sounds like you have things under control, and Missy, has a good home, and slaves. ;) 
                                    Wayne

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 07:35:49 am »
Nice story stickbender.Our Gray here bit the tip of my index finger the other day here.I was offering it part of a grape which I know it likes but at the moment he did'nt want it.I kept reoffering it and finally he bit me good.I blew on his face for him to back off which worked just to let him know he can't get rid of me by biting.Other than that he's a character.Jingle the keys as you go out the door and he'll say...see ya later....lol.Another video on U-tube shows this Gray called Einstine.Quite the vocabulary.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 10:53:11 am »
Stickbender, my Mustache is the same way with my wife, she'll let me pet her sometimes but you can tell she's humoring me, but she'll cuddle under my wifes chin just like you said, it's a family bond thing with birds.

Beadman, if you haven't read/been told this yet, another thing to remember about disciplining a naughty bird is that they are actually surprisingly good at reading human facial expressions and tone of voice, many times just giving the bird "the evil eye" will be enough to shame/chastise them. Also if you haven't already look up laddering as a training/disciplining tool, on the rare occasions my bird gets naughty a few seconds of laddering is all it takes to un-rile her, lol.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »
I'll admit dealing with birds is different for me.Being a farmer I've dealt with many different types of animals.Been bit by everything in Iowa I think.Birds would be chickens,ducks, and geese.Most don't have no sense compared to a dog or a horse.One thing I don't do with animals and birds is bluff.They better mind or it's time to pay the keeper.Just stern positive forward action.This Gray is a nice bird and it's attitude is good.Never heard of laddering as discipline.Sounds like excersize to take the edge off.This bird has more toys than carter has liver pills.Always chewing on something or eating and it's mind is being occupied pretty good while in it's cage.It seeks out attention but has not been handled that much from previous owners.So we have been making it step up on our arms to be put on a perch in the living while watching TV.I was nipped during the first time we made it get on this perch and it was a little scared that's all.We're having a blast with it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 12:02:55 pm »
The theory behind the laddering is basically the first thing the bird learns through human training is the basic step up. Even when they want to come to you or if they don't, stepping up is a kind of submission in the same way any training is really. So when you get the bird to step up, step up, step up as you do in laddering you're reasserting your authority even if the bird doesn't consciously realize this. So it's not so much a negative feedback disciplining like a good mean stare and a firm word of scolding so much as a way to reassert your authority as higher in the pecking order and tends to realign their attitude when they get snippy. Oh, another tip (can you tell I did a LOT of research on tropical bird behavior, lol), be careful about letting the bird interact with you above your eye level. In tropical bird society the pecking order is can be physically displayed by relative height, the top bird is literally on top looking down on the others. It's not usually a big deal to let your bird chill on top of the cage or a high perch, but when interacting directly always have their eyes lower down that yours or they may get ideas about who's really in charge. That's why it's not a good idea to shoulder larger birds (shoulder being the term for letting them perch on your shoulder like a pirate) as their eyes will be above yours.

Sorry if I'm being all experienced-mom-telling-new-mom how to do things, I'm just really interested and fascinated by these creatures. When we first got ours it's like you said, they're so different from any animal I had interacted with before so I dove into the research on their behavior and now I can read the tropical birds just as well as I can read dogs or cats.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 08:52:25 am »
Very interesting and makes sense.Don't worry about over explaining yourself.I'm good if your good.We got to make ours step up a lot more in my opinion.Got a nice big cage for it.My girlfriend has been making countless toys for it to tear up,and is the main handler so far.[He's a chewing son of a gun I tell ya].Even has a 2 month supply of assorted veggies and nuts etc. for it.No avacado though....lol.Mister wants to interact very well and seems to talk more when I'm in the other room through the doorway.Not always.How long have you had yours?
BowEd
Ed