Author Topic: More questions about boo shafts  (Read 5316 times)

Offline arachnid

More questions about boo shafts
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:13:28 pm »
Hi Guys.
So I desided not to buy Chinese shafts. Instead I'm making my own boo shaft from garden stakes.
2 questions:

1. What is the best way to attach field points to a boo shaft? I know the boo arrow build along explains it, but its pretty hard for me to use this method without that sharpner looking tool (forgot its name...).
2. What is the best way to make a set of arrows matched for my bow? I have 1 boo bare shaft tested with a good result. How can I match the other shafts to it?

Thanks

Dor

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: More questions about boo shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
i bought glue on target tips from a local archery store. You can also use duplex nails and cut the head off with a grinder or dykes.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:17 pm »
Problem is, the target tips I have are 8mm in diameter. The shafts are 7-10mm in diameter.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 12:46:48 pm »
Problem is, the target tips I have are 8mm in diameter. The shafts are 7-10mm in diameter.

Are they tapered inside? Wrap your shaft in nylon thread first?

Offline arachnid

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:56:50 pm »

Are they tapered inside? Wrap your shaft in nylon thread first?

Yes the tipa tapered inside.
I didnt wrap the shaft. If I do, it will increase the diameter of the shaft

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 01:02:24 pm »
I use a big pencil sharpener because i'm too cheap to buy a tapering tool. If they are too big or not I taper the tip and then glue on the target points.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 02:31:12 pm »
I taper cane shafts just like with doweled shafts. I use a belt/disc sander to taper. I've not had good luck on cane with pencil sharpeners type.
 Also, I cut cane at 3/8" at the point end and 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow and they will usually fly well from a 45# to 60# bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 03:20:52 pm »
I taper cane shafts just like with doweled shafts. I use a belt/disc sander to taper. I've not had good luck on cane with pencil sharpeners type.
 Also, I cut cane at 3/8" at the point end and 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow and they will usually fly well from a 45# to 60# bow.

The big ones for carpentry pencils work well. Home Depot sells one in a pack of like 10 or 20 pencils for pretty cheap that has worked well for me.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 03:38:36 pm »
 Also, I cut cane at 3/8" at the point end and 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow and they will usually fly well from a 45# to 60# bow.4

Do you mean you don't tune them somehow? You just make qnd shoot?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »
I'm not attempting to answer for Pat B, but two things about bamboo arrows, one, they are pretty forgiving on spine so it's not as big a deal as wood, two, if you're buying like 500 stakes or cutting a whole patch at a time, you can afford to eyeball it through making the arrows then toss aside what doesn't shoot well for you.

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
I have been tapering mine with a belt sander and using clue on field tips. Sometimes there is a space on the shafts with a smaller diameter but it hasn't caused me any trouble yet. As far as getting a good group of arrows, I use a spine tester I made. It might be unnecessary and extra work but it has worked great for me. I made a little amateur 'how to' a few posts down if you haven't read it already.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 04:07:47 pm »
I do check spine to find out which is the stiffer side and that goes against the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 06:00:13 pm »
have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4w482Oty0

Not very primitive but it seems like it could save arrows, and cheap

I still haven't broken any of my boo arrows with brass points, however...

I do check spine to find out which is the stiffer side and that goes against the bow.
Do you rotate it 45 degrees more or less, or is it stiffer somehow when being bent in one direction than the other in the same plane? Since some people talked about shooting boo arrows with cock feather pointing to the bow as if the stiffness would be different, though it didn't seem like that to me
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:03:22 pm by loon »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 08:44:19 pm »
This is a very good topic / thread with some very good comments.....let's keep it going, any other comments from you guys that have done it  once or twice?  ??? ???
Maybe use some glue on tips then transfer the weight to your final target or hunting points..............  :-\ :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 10:41:59 pm »
Generally the nodes will be on the horizontal plain. The nodes are on the stiff side so you have 2 options. That's why sometimes all it takes is flipping the arrow over, cock feather in, to achieve good arrow flight. Cane is very draw weight tolerant and like hardwood shoot shafts the taper of the shaft will reduce the affective spine of an arrow by up to 10#. The natural taper and quick recovery goes a long way when making good arrows.